Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #1
Water Warrior 2

Bike Show.

A friend and I went to the Abbotsford Bike Show yesterday. Michelle offered to do the driving so we took his little GM thing made in Korea. I was quite surprised how well it could be driven with a very good driver at the controls. The little Aveo was one of two official lemons sold in Canada in 2009. The other being a Smart Car.
The trip was heavy rain both ways and dark on the return too.

The show was pretty good and I got to look at a couple bikes of interest to me. No, I didn't buy anything but there was some food for thought. Test sat a Suzuki SV650 naked bike. A bit too much weight on the wrists but that would go away once the bike is in motion no doubt. Reasonable seating position with the foot pegs back a bit compared to my old Vstrom and a lot back compared to the Honda CTX. The SV felt nimble just on the floor which quite surprised me. No doubt just a hint of the excellant handling they are known for once in motion. I would really love to do a test ride on my fav set of twisties. That said I would likely buy it and burn my Honda.

Another bike of interest was the BMW 310GS Adventure bike. Single cylinder with 34 HP and only approx 350 pounds. ABS included. Priced with the competition in the same class pretty much. I think it would be a fun 2nd bike with some highway punch when needed or just wandering dirt roads without fear of droppng a big heavy bike.

Saw a couple pre-production Gold Wings with a dual clutch transmission. Michelle pointed out some improvements for 2018 on the body work and accessability for servicing.

Looked at a bunch of Indians. Really nice in my eye compared to H-D. One thing that really surprised me in a good way was the fact that some of their models are designed for folks of different heights. I sat on a couple that would be for my height and they fit very nice. Right amount of reach, foot pegs in the right place and the seat put me where I felt good.
The Indians also had good fit and finish with some nice colors for paint and leather.

That's about it. No pics as I forgot my camera as per normal.
All in all a great day with dinner at a true Italian eatery. Life is good.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Water Warrior 2; 01-20-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Sounds like you had a great outing looking at things you love. It was probably nice to get out of the house as well as I know your weather is atrocious this time of year. When we lived in western Washington, I prayed for the good (dry) weather and got really antsy for things to do. Will be interesting to see if/when you pull the trigger on a new bike. Take care.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Don't know if I will buy a new bike in the future. There are lots of them out there but making a decision would destroy brain cells. So many to choose from is almost a stress maker. It would be a mid sized bike or a bit smaller though. My riding doesn't take me out of my area too often so a bike cruiser or touring machine would be pointless. My CTX700 can do long rides but I found out years ago that my body doesn't like extended rides. Besides, I tend to overpack and have far too much stuff that I will never need. The textile bags on the CTX just have a rain suit, water bottles, a patch kit and small compressor. I could pack enough for an overnighter very easily but I like 4 wheels if I go that far. Yeah, I'm a bit of a pussy and I do like my creature comforts and air conditioning on a long hot day.

You mentioned rain. It is still coming down in buckets here. That may be a drawback for some folks but coming from the prairies it is a treat. I don't have to shovel it or own a snow blower anymore. We are required to use winter tires here 6 months of the year on highways but that is just a precautionary thing. This winter I finally got to justify owning a 4x4 after 10 years. My inclement weather machine had to prove it's worth a while ago and it passed with flying colors. What really amazes me is how slippery coastal snow is compared to prairie snow. Even prairie ice on roads is better for traction.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:38 AM   #4
Vegas Street Rider

I don't miss that weather a bit, though the summers here in the Vegas Valley get a little bit intense. The rest of the year is usually really nice, especially for riding.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
I don't miss that weather a bit, though the summers here in the Vegas Valley get a little bit intense. The rest of the year is usually really nice, especially for riding.
I must have missed the good temps. I was glad to have been in an A/c vehicle a couple times when passing through.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
burkbuilds

Back to your bike show comments. I have to agree that he Indian's are really beautiful, truly a work of art in my opinion. I've never ridden one, and I never will, but they look amazing.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #7
Vegas Street Rider

Most of the Indian bikes these days look too much like the baggers that are really popular in some markets. I am not a big fan because in my opinion, it is just a lot of unnecessary crap hanging off of what may be a really sweet motorcycle mechanically speaking. I adhere to the KISS principal. Just not my style. That is why I like the GZ , rat bikes, bobbers, and cage racers. The GZ is about as dressed up as I can stand, yet still a fairly simple but classic cruiser style.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:15 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

The Indian Scout comes pretty basic without add-ons and is very nice. They do of course make full blown touring bikes with all the bells and whistles but I doubt I would ever want one. Too big and too heavy for my taste. All the manufacturers make a monster on 2 wheels for those riders who want one. They have their uses for 2 up and pulling trailers on long hauls. Even the Scout is a larger bike with a lot of displacement in a less than dressed up fashion. Would I like to test ride one?? Absolutely but I'm afraid the power would be addictive and my savings would take a major hit.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Vegas Street Rider

Roger that!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:20 AM   #10
mariejustice54

I have attended this show with my cousin because we both are bike lover, I saw there many beautiful and unique bikes, luckily I found passes from Florida Ticket Station Coupons bought many from there as well. Now waiting for the upcoming show