Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
1Rogue

As new as they get!

Full on new rider and new owner here.

Knew a great gentleman who upgraded from his GZ, bought as a learner, to a Shadow. He had laid the GZ down a few times causing some minor body damage along with doing only minimal maintenance over the past 3 years. He didn't think he could sell for much so he decided to pass the torch as is, just come and get it. So, here I am and just passed the written exam this morning!

Never ridden before and never worked on a bike before so, got a lot to learn and a bit to do on the bike, but hey, the price couldn't have been better. It runs pretty well and doesn't look too beat up (I am sure I'll remedy that soon enough).

Fair warning to all. Will probably be posting and lot of silly newby "duh, everybody knows that" questions. So please don't point and laugh too much. I have been reading quite a bit on this site past couple of days and gotta say from what I've seen it is a great forum. Look forward to learning a lot and meeting a lot a good folks.

:cool:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-05-2007, 02:10 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Welcome to the forum. Dont worry about asking noob questions.. .we were all noobs at one point!

Great price for the GZ, cant beat FREE!!!!!

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #3
Bill

Welcome to the forum. What a deal! Can't go wrong with that one. You will find great information here and very helpful folks. Since you are getting started I would suggest taking the safety training course. It is the BEST first investment you can make. I think most folks here would agree.

Cheers!

Old 05-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Hi 1roque, welcome to a great forum. Absolutely agree with Bill about training. Take a course and learn the right way before you learn bad habits on your own. Just finished a training course yesterday and was amazed at the knowledge and safety tips from the instructor. Training will boost your confidence level and ability to survive on the streets.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

This is a very forgiving bike to learn on and it will last you past that. I'm a veteran rider of three bikes, all of the 250cc variety, and I love it.

Enjoy and take care,
Jonathan

Old 05-09-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
davidc83

Welcome and the gz250 is a great bike. Just got back from doing a 1132 mile road trip and it is a tough little bike.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #7
1Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Since you are getting started I would suggest taking the safety training course. It is the BEST first investment you can make. I think most folks here would agree.
I had been intending to eventually take this course, but so many people suggested it I am taking the Safety Training course this weekend. I read that with the class you get to bypass the driving test. So, since I have already done the written test, with any luck I'll have my M liscense by Monday!! Actually, I really thought it would take me abit longer to get to this point. Pretty excited about it.

Thanks to everyone for all the tips and welcome posts so far!
Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Well, the course is alot more driving than the actual dmv driving test, and there IS two tests you have to take/pass. 50 question test and a 3 part riding test to get your M. BUT you have to be pretty sucky at the test and the riding part to fail. You will do just fine and probably pick up a few pointers as well.

The multiple choice test, you go over all the questions for the 1st and 3rd days, then take the test right afterwards (very easy test). Riding part is day 2 and 4 ... and the actual "test" is at the end of day 4 but includes 3 riding exercises that you do during day 4.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 05-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
1Rogue

Appreciate the breakdown Dupo. I anticipated a lot being squeezed into a fairly short class timeframe. I think I'd prefer the class you are describing spread out over 4 days. The ones I've found here are crammed into 2 days all day.

I am fairly sure I could pass the test without the class now, but from what I read of all the reviews saying it providing appx. 2 years of experience knowledge plus graduates and other riders loudly singing it's praise, I decided I would much rather go this route. I would like a little more confidence than I have now when getting around any kind of traffic. <not that I am diving around without an M liscense> :whistle:

Plus, my wife was a little leary of my getting the bike as she had two uncles killed in motorcycle accidents due to other car drivers negligence (one drunk). So anything I can do to ease her mind a bit makes my life a little easier.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
1Rogue

Finished the Safety Course yesterday. The 2 day class, long and hot. The tests, easy. Had two ladies on scooters who kept trying to run everyone over. Even they passed the tests. My hand got so cramped on the clutch I didn't think I could hold it anymore. But, happy days, I am now sitting here with a sore hand, sunburned neck and face and a temporary liscense card with an M on it. :rawk:

Much thanks to all who suggested it. Learned alot and feel much more comfortable on the bike.