Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Shifting Gears / Clutch / Transmission --- How to operate

Hello --

Some of you may remember me for asking for help on how to get my GZ 250 running. After months of delays (had to leave for military training, new school) I finally brought it to a shop to get fixed. The carb had to be cleaned and that was that.

I just started riding recently on the bike but I have been practicing on a motorscooter before that. I never realized how much more complicated the clutch makes things.

I still don't seem to understand how the clutch / shifting gears works. I have read the users' manual (pg 29-30) and read various articles online, but have yet to find some comprehensive explanation for how shifting gears works.

I have many more questions as I learn more, but here are the first few I have:

1. Does pushing the shift lever down ALWAYS put the bike into first gear (whether it is currently in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th? Or does pushing the shift lever down only move the gear down one (for example from 3rd to 2nd, or 5th to 4th)?

2. When I try to start up the bike sometimes, I engage the throttle and release the clutch.. If I release the clutch too soon the entire bike turns off. I know I am supposed to release the clutch slowly and am still learning to, but is the bike SUPPOSED TO TOTALLY turn off if I make this mistake?

3. How do I shift up while in first gear? Can I just pull the clutch, push the shift lever up twice, release the clutch, and it will be in third gear? Or do I have to pull clutch, shift lever up, release clutch, pull clutch, shift lever up, release clutch, to get it in third gear? Do I have to pull and release the clutch for each gear I shift? Or can I shift it multiple times for one pull/release of the clutch?

Thank you.

Login or Register to Remove Ads