Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 07-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #1
DroidHoff

Finished my BRC course today! Licensing Exam tomorrow!

Hey everyone wish me luck tomorrow! The BRC course was fun and very informative even though it was well over 100 both days! Tomorrow I try for my license and hopefully get through it! I feel very comfortable with most exercises but still get a little out of balance on my uturns. Also the GZ I was riding went belly up after the first day so they stuck me on a rebel today and I didn't feel quite as comfortable but managed. Anyway I will keep you all updated!

Andrew

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
ncff07

Re: Finished my BRC course today! Licensing Exam tomorrow!

The BRC class is alot of fun. Dont know how it is elsewhere but the DMV waives the road test in NC if you pass the BRC tests just have to take the written test at the DMV, BUT its pretty much the same stuff you go over in the class so it should be a snap. Good luck tommorow but im sure youll ace it. :2tup:
Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
cayuse

I was pretty shaky in the u-turn, too, but I found the secret is to look at the horizon or even something slightly above it and pull the inside shoulder up as you look up that way. This seems to put your weight where it does the most good and the bike will just go where you need it to go. Good luck tomorrow! :2tup:

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 07-16-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Looking down during a U turn is a great way to fall down. I always drop my sight and then have to tell myself to smarten up. Lotsa luck tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
blaine

Good luck. Ride safe. :2tup: :rawk:

Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
alantf

I've been riding for over 45 years. I've no problem whatsoever with right hand U-turns, but my left hand have ALWAYS been wobbly. Dunno why. Riding the ramps INTO my underground parking - no problem - riding the ramps out - feet down on the U-turns. :2tup:
Old 07-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #7
dhgeyer

Everyone who takes the course is nervous about the U-turn box. I'll tell you a little secret: it's not weighted very heavily in the final score. You lose a point if you put a foot down or go outside the box, but you can lose a few points and still pass. If I remember correctly there's a limit to how many points they'll take off, even for multiple errors in that exercise. So don't worry about it too much and relax. That will probably make it go better anyway. Just don't drop the bike.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:29 AM   #8
alanmcorcoran

Re U-turn (I had trouble with this one too...): I second the advice to turn your head and look at the horizon of where you want to go. Two other things: 1) Keep your speed low, BUT DON'T "COAST" The bike will handle better if the drivetrain is engaged. Not sure if "centrifugal" is the proper way to describe the forces at work, but the bike will lean more stable-y (?) if under power. Second gear is probably the right gear. 2) Practice transferring your weight to the pegs (pick your ass up off the seat.) I'm not sure what this does on a technical basis, but it will allow you to lean the bike more at slow speed and I think you can leverage your center of gravity more.

Don't try the last one on the test if you haven't done it before.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
IceBreaker

In Illinois, if you take the riding test at the Secretary Of State's(DMV) office, and you put your foot down or go over a cone at least once during the test, they WILL fail you! Don't know how they do it if you take the riding test elsewhere. Secretary of State will waive the written and riding portion of your test if you pass the BRC offered by the State(courses offered thru the 4 public universities in the state). Best of luck with the test tomorrow!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
DroidHoff

Thanks for all the last minute pointers everyone! I got back about 2 hours ago with my newly minted M Class license!!! The exam went well though even though I had to ride yet another different bike (3 in 3 days). The head not just over the shoulder but looking above the horizon helped a ton! I did cross a perimeter line on my first cone weave but it was the first time on that bike (some yamaha road / dirt bike) and I went about a half an inch over but managed to correct it and get the right line and balance back. I came home and immediately took a spin around my neighborhood to practice some of my new skills and get comfortable on my GZ again. I even though about taking it to work which is only about 10 minutes away but there's a lot of construction getting out of my subdivision and I haven't ridden at night yet, when I would be coming home, and I figured I need to practice a little bit more first. But again thanks for all the well wishes and pointers and ride safely!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk