Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
GWAR

Few question from a noob

I am 6'1 and sat on the yamaha, honda, and suzuki 250's and only the gz250 felt ok.
I don't have my motorcycle lisence and I don't have a ton of cash to spend on a bike..
Also looking at the gz250 because of the insane gas mileagle and highway capability since speeds are 55hwy where I live.
Do you think it's a good idea? Will I be comfortable? Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Few question from a noob

Welcome to the family.Most people your size have no complaints about the size of the G.Z.Also 55 to 60 is the bikes sweet spot.
:2tup:

Old 03-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
Skunkhome

I tried the Virago 250 and almost bought it before I realized that it had a crack in the intake " manifold". That said I am glad I got a chance to try the GZ250 because it feels a lot more roomy to me. The Rebel on the other hand feels so cramped even though I am a short legged fellow. I am thinking only the most diminutive of people would feel comfortable on it. My 2006 GZ has a 14 liter tank and with 75 mpg economy it travels 206 miles in town before calling for reserve.
As for cruising the bike is fully capable of handling highways that are posted 55 and even short treks on interstates.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
GWAR

Thanks for the quick replies! I felt more room on the GZ than the v-star and rebel as well!
I think that this is the bike for me, so I am going to save up for a used one!
Hopefully I'll be riding soon haha.

PS: since I live in washington it rains a TON... Do you think that the bike is too light to ride in the rain or if I take it slow will it be OK? Because I am going to use it for a commuter as much as I can
Old 03-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #5
alantf

Hi there,

Never had any problems in the rainy season, and I'm talking monsoon rain here. :2tup: Only thing, the cobbled streets get a bit hairy, but that's the same with any bike.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

I don't think the bike weight has too much to do with riding in the rain as much as the rider's ability and understanding of the situation. Rain riding is doable if you go in knowing the streets will be slippery the first 15 minutes of a rain shower. Wait until the streets are washed clean of oil and other stuff that can bring you down. Cornering speed is also lower and braking distances longer for safety. Visibility is also limited so other drivers/riders may not see you. Get a bright rain suit with reflective hi-lites to help make a spectacle of yourself. It all helps keep you upright and smiling.
If your commute is quite long you don't want to get wet while riding. You can loose a lot of body heat and that is dangerous.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAR
I don't have my motorcycle lisence !
6'1" is not too terribly large for a GZ250, you will feel a tad cramped obviously compared to 800cc+ type crusier bikes, but with your limited budget a GZ will work good. Last tip coming from a 30 year veteran rider..... TAKE THE MSF COURSE !

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx
2001 KX500
2007 YZ450F
2001 GZ250 (Wife's !)
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Clam
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWAR
I don't have my motorcycle lisence !
6'1" is not too terribly large for a GZ250, you will feel a tad cramped obviously compared to 800cc+ type crusier bikes, but with your limited budget a GZ will work good. Last tip coming from a 30 year veteran rider..... TAKE THE MSF COURSE !

http://online2.msf-usa.org/msf/Default.aspx
Yup, rider training is the single most effective way to preserve your life. Part of the training in my opinion is learning to dress properly to ride. Yeah, I'm all about looking like a Power Ranger on 2 wheels but it is the only way I can ride. Even a "0" speed fall can hurt with no armor.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:17 AM   #9
jack-_-hammer

I'm 6' and i'm fairly comfortable riding this bike doesnt seem to small when I was looking into buying it I actually thought the bike was going to be to small when I saw the bike in person the bike was WAY bigger than I expected. I seriously thought I would look like those clowns riding a mini bike. As far as riding in the rain I fell pretty bad in the rain the white lines painted on the streets are super slippery so if your going to ride in the rain Make sure your extra careful on those lines like for crosswalks and STOP signs. And Yes take the MSF Course Its totally worth it.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:38 AM   #10
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack-_-hammer
the white lines painted on the streets are super slippery so if your going to ride in the rain Make sure your extra careful on those lines
Just this morning it started to rain as I was leaving town. Stopped at the lights with my back wheel on the painted arrow. As I set off the back end fishtailed on the white paint. Luckily I was able to catch it, so no spills, but just shows how easy it is for even an experienced rider to have the occasional "whoops, shit" moment in the rain.