Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-12-2009, 11:44 PM   #141
Sarris

Re: Riding for fun and adventure...

Brother, you've been riding a year, maybe. You've had your new 1800cc bike two days.

Shit.... Alan, I'd say your fantasy hasn't been fufilled, I'd say it has just begun.

Oh yeah, and that Chubski thng while riding? It never goes away.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #142
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
1) Did we forget to mention the inseam thing? Well, that kind of goes along with gettting a bike that is TOO big. You can easily gain an inch with a different seat or by removing a little padding.
I kind of knew about the inseam thing from sizing bicycles. Unlike motorcycles, bicycles come in different frame sizes, pus you can eff with the bar clamp to increase or decrease the "stretch" and bicycle seats typically have a few inches leeway in the post. It's a pretty good fit, but think I'd be happier with it about an inch lower, but I can kind of do that artificially by scootching up to the seam between the seat and the tank when I pull up to a challenging stop (steep uphill or downhill.)

Quote:
2) Does the douchebag-impluse buyer apply to buying insurance too ?? Shop around a bit. I don't know what you got or who with but many have found that the best "know" names for bike insurance are not always the best, price wise. Check with the company that insures your house or cars; sometimes they will insure a bike ONLY for existing customers. Get a big deductible.
I sort of did, but it's not totally unsalvageable. When I got the GZ, my cars were with Allstate and either they couldn't sell me motorcycle insurance or couldn't do it over the phone, I forget. I went to Progressive and liability for the GZ, for a year, was three hundred bucks. Howevah, I went full coverage on The Beast, and that was a lot more. But, I only had to pay for half a year. When my policy due date aprroaches I will shop around some more. I have tlaked to other (younger) bikers that have been quoted as much as SEVEN GRAND for insurance on their superfast sport bikes (for a year!) so, it's had to tell what is a hosing.

Quote:
3) Did we fail to warn you about that too ?? No, believe me you aren't done yet. Just because you have one of the biggest monsters on the road doesn't mean it is the best. You WILL get the itch again.......might be years or only months.......... when you see something you like better. It is kind of like Herpes; never completely goes away and flares up again from time to time!!
An interesting analogy. And I believe you are correct sir. If I end up liking long road trips, I could see myself moving up to the $20K touring RV bike. We'll see.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:56 AM   #143
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Hey Alan, how far do you think can you get on a tank of gas in the Strat? It's 4.5 gal, right?
Moedad, I have a preliminary guestimate: Not based entirely on science, I am calculating my current gas mileage at about 38mpg. The guage is on empty when I have about a gallon left. At .8 of a gallon, a light is supposed to come on and it actually starts counting the "miles since the light has gone on" for you. I had an opportunity tonight to run to down to that point, but I chickened out (see "Alan is a pussy" posts for further exp.) I could probably push the GZ for a mile, but I can't barely roll the Strat ten feet without risking a hernia. So, given an effective usable tank of 3.5 gals, I would estimate the crusing range at about 130 miles or so. If one feels lucky, maybe 150.

Hope it doesn't get worse after break-in.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:07 AM   #144
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Brother, you've been riding a year, maybe.
Six months actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
You've had your new 1800cc bike two days.
Uhhh... it's actually 1854cc, sir.

Yeah, I'm still sort of behaving myself on The Beast. Haven't had it up over 80 yet, partly waiting until I log few more miles, partly waiting until it's 18 months since my last speeding ticket, and partly due to the break-in recommendations. I've also been taking it easy on takeoff. The thing feels pretty damn quick - has a ton of power down low, unlike the GZ.

On my first ride out to Cook's (the standard Sunday morning ride around here) it was a whole different experience than when I first took the GZ out there. Partly because I've learned how to countersteer a lot better, and partly because I didn't have to think about shifting at all. Just point it, lean when necesary, and go. Nobody waiting to pass me, and I actually passed a few "real" bikers (at their invitation!)
Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #145
mrlmd1

I said --Quote:
As an aside, I can't believe the dealer didn't give you a full tank of gas, you get one in a car when you leave the showroom.

Alan replied-- That's actually not always true. I am, among other things, an ex-car salesman, and back in the day, we didn't do that as a matter of routine. I did use it a few times to close a deal, but I had to take the car myself to the gas station and fill it with my own money. Of course back then we were talking, like 6 or 7 bucks. I know some dealers do that as a matter of course, but it's not universal.

I disagree. I have never bought a new car that I drove away that didn't have a full tank of gas. Is customary at least on the East Coast, and a courtesy and thank you from the dealer. You spent 12 grand for a 2 year old bike and the dealer couldn't put 12 bucks of gas in it for you? Are the profit margins that tight that he just gave you enough to get home? Maybe the gas was 2 years old also. That's pretty chintsy and upsetting to me anyway.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #146
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

When I bought my truck (new) I actually had to ask them if they were going to fill the tank up. They did, but it wasn't going to happen if I didn't bring it up.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #147
Joho

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Quote:
I have tlaked to other (younger) bikers that have been quoted as much as SEVEN GRAND for insurance on their superfast sport bikes (for a year!) so, it's had to tell what is a hosing.

Just for reference... I paid 354 for 12 months of comprehensive coverage through esurance..

1. at the time i was 17 years old, and insurance companies JACK UP the prices for men under 25!!
2. i had one ticket for improper use of signal, and one not-at-fault collision
3. i personally owned the bike outright, and the insurance was in my name (companies also like to jack up prices for young'ns without credit history)

So I feel like I got a pretty good deal. Especially because I really wanted theft coverage!

Also, Congrats on the new bike.. it looks AMAZING!
Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #148
alanmcorcoran

Thanks Joho. That gives me hope. I'm 50, have excellent credit and also own the bike. Although you could paper a small room with my tickets, I seem to only get one every 18 months, like clockwork, and I always suck it up and go to "school" so they don't show up on my record. I think a large part of the coverage is the collision. Did you get that?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 PM   #149
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Weeeeell'
I saw one just last week in (of all places) a VERY expensive car showroom - I mean a showroom that sells VERY expensive cars. It just sat there looking like it realised just where it was, & knew that lesser showrooms were not for it! AWESOME!
When I got home I looked it up on the internet. Apparently very few of the 1900s were made. The Jap home market models even had reverse. I suppose that's because the little short arsed oriental gentlemen couldn't duck walk them backwards.(I'm not sure that I'd like to try either)
I don't remember the name of the site, but it's well worth searching for it, just for the drool!
Thr Rune did not sell well because of it's styling and lack of utility. Other than a tank bag you couldn't haul much else. The price was even higher than a loaded Gold Wing.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #150
Cruiser

Alan,
Just wondering how you liked the new ride after a few years?

Cruiser