Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 09-04-2006, 10:03 PM   #1
PhillyKG

Hi there!

Glad to know that there is a place out here for us 250 owners... can't really say "riders" since I have never ridden it outside of a parking lot yet! My Motorcycle Safety class starts later this month. Once I learn a bit more and have the confidence, I plan on riding it home from the shop (a little over 10 miles). Until then, I am limited to saturday mornings and volunteer tutors to help me out. So far, only one lesson... weather did not cooperate this Saturday for me : (
There is always next Saturday! : ) In the meantime, I am educating myself on some things by reading tips and watching videos out on the web.

PS Like the creator of this website... this is a long awaited adventure for me too! I like the new pipe on your bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-05-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Badbob

Be very wary of tutors that have not had the MSF course.

Study while you wait:
"Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence"
http://tinyurl.com/hm7wd
Expanded version of the book you get in the MSF class

"Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well "
http://tinyurl.com/hxbr4

"More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride"
http://tinyurl.com/ndtn3

"Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists"
http://tinyurl.com/psr65

Wear your gear all the time. Even in the parking lot. A the gear al the time.

Ride safe.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
PhillyKG

Thanks BadBob!

I totally agree... my live "tutor" is a former motorcycle safety instructor. He drove my bike to and from the old motorcycle test range and even did the dreaded gas fill-up for me. : )
Some other offers to learn, that I graciously had to decline, entailed "going for a short ride". I am not quite ready for that yet.
I bought a full face helmet with the "anti-fog" visor and wear that along with my new gloves and jacket while practicing.

Although I like "the FREE" internet, I'll probably order a few.. if not ALL of the books that you recommended.
Funny, my decision to purchase a 250 was based on advise that I had read on the "vtwinmama" website.
Hey, I know that I don't own a V-twim... But that's okay by me!
Nice to hear that you all are enjoying this bike. I can't wait to do the same.
I'm also curious to see why everyone thinks that I will be tired of this bike so quickly... especially since I haven't even gotten started with the riding part of it yet! Ha-Ha!

Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 AM   #4
Badbob

Sounds like you have given this some thought before starting out. I would also suggest wearing riding pants. Most any riding pants are better than denim. If it is to hot to wear all of my gear its to hot to ride. The paring lot practice is very important.

If one tip in one of the books I mentioned above saves you from hitting the pavement one time its worth the price.

You may not tire of it quickly. Everyone is different. I have put almost 10,000 miles on mine and while there are things I don't like about it I'm not in a big hurry to give it up. There are a few folks around that are in the 40-50,000 mile range.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:49 PM   #5
PhillyKG

Hi there again!

Funny that you mention riding pants. That's another area that I need to shop around. I had read somewhere that in a fall/test, at 60mph, denim lasts about 4 feet, and leather lasts 40-60 feet etc. Not sure what other options are out there, but it is definitely something for me to investigate.

You are right, I have been puttting lots of thought into this and following up slowly behind it with the action part of it. Ha-ha! I'm planning to get some range time before the weekend is out. Of course, I will be wearing the protective gear. : )

Wow! Almost 10,000 miles! You must be really enjoying your bike! That's Awesome!
Is everyone riding stock? ... or are you all doing those nifty mod trics that are posted out there? ; )

Old 09-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #6
Badbob

My two cents on riding gear:

Leather has better abrasion resistance but it comes at a high price. Its expensive. Maintenance isn't to bad if your only a fair weather rider. When it gets wet it loses some of its strength and get stiffer when it dries. You need to condition it to keep it soft. In Florida in the summer, heat stroke. If you ride in all kinds of weather leather might not be a good choice. There are a few companies that make compromise gear that has leather around the same areas where the armor goes. I have a jacket like this that I loved until it got wet. Forget chaps. If you slide you'll just grind your butt off before the leather wears through. Lots of leather and other riding gear for that matter is more about fashion than any thing else.

There is a lot of marketing hype and no standards to speak of for riding gear. I sure wish DOT would come up with some standards for riding gear.

I like textile gear better than leather. Easier to maintain and cheaper. Most of the year I couldn't wear leather anyway. Riding pants seem to be an after thought for most people so the choices are some what limited. A company that makes 25 or 30 different jackets might only make two kinds of pants.

I like over pants. I buy the jacket I like and then pick one of the pants that go with it. I like 3/4 jackets with lots of pockets and a zipper that zips them to the pants. In the summer I have to compromise because of the heat. I don't mind a little sweat but I'm talking about heat stroke. I gear up all the way or I don't ride. You will never see me riding in a tee shirt shorts and sandals. I see this every day here.