Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-22-2014, 04:26 PM   #11
GilHirien

Pilot screw is sealed. I may play with that later on, but not until I get it running reliably in the factory setting. Thanks though.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-24-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
GilHirien

Update: Rained pretty hard down here the last several days, but yesterday I was able to remove the carb again, disassemble, and soak everything. Yes, it was indeed filthy all over again. All hoses, jets, etc. cleaned out. Did the needle shim mod while I was in there again. Tomorrow will drain the gas tank, clean the petcock again, because holy crap at the garbage still coming out. It would pull gas through, but with the hose disconnected and some gas in the tank on prime I was only getting a steady trickle instead of flow. I will also install an in line fuel filter tomorrow.

Now question: do ya'll think its safe to scrub the inside of the tank to get the rest of that garbage out, and what kind of cleaner do you think would be safe to use that would flush out without adverse effects on the gas once its filled up again? Thanks guys!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:56 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

It should be fairly easy to remove most of the loose stuff in the tank. What "I" would try is draining the tank, add a cup full of clean gas and a wash cloth. Remove tank from bike and just keep twisting and turning the tank to let the wash cloth do its job. There may be a chance of damaging the in-tank filter but you will have the inline filter working for you later on after it is all buttoned up
Do the swish and wash cloth a couple times or until there is little to none mung and particles showing up when you drain the cup full of gas out of the tank.
Yeah this is a messy and slightly dangerous idea(playing with gas)but it may work.
After all that................there will surely be a better idea soon from some one else. And hopefully safer too.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #14
gz4me +

Nod

My 91 year old friend, who rode motorcycles from his teenage years until he turned 87 years old, says Marvel mystery oil or WD-40 inside the tank will remove crap and rust. Plus alot safer.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:19 AM   #15
chromedome195

Marvel Mystery Oil is decent stuff.....when I used to collect and enjoy Hudsons....I would use 4 oz. of MMO with every fill up. (that was a 20 gallon fill up) Never a problem.
And back in the day, MMO made an inverted oiler that also feed some into the crank case to mix with the oil and everyone of those so equipped, sounded and felt so extra smooth.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 AM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

WW is guiding you right - and anyone who is a friend of MMO is a friend of mine.

Drain the tank - That gas sludge is just no good. Do whatever you have to do - just pour as much of that crap out of the tank as possible. Your goal is not a pristine tank inner surface, but at least one that isn't flaking and sending varnish deep into the carb.

If you can find one, buy or create a new petcock gasket and remove the petcock as well to do the job right.

Drain any fluid that is in there and then pick your poison as far as flushing the tank. Gasoline and a washcloth will do a lot of good. You can also mix up a solution of kerosene and any carb cleaner that you like. (With the kerosene solution, keep the petcock on, seal the gas cap, and shake your tank like a giant gear-head martini mixer. Then pop both openings, drain and repeat until what comes out is pretty clean.

Kerosene isn't nearly as explosive as gasoline, yet after you're all done, the kerosene that is left in the tank won't damage in any way your new tank of gas and you won't have to worry about the two not being compatible.

I've also used a pressure washer on old tanks with good results. Again, it's better with two openings, one for an inlet and one for an outlet. Don't use full pressure or keep the stream in one place the whole time.

Anyway - your goal is just to remove the gunk and then get new gas into the tank as soon as possible to keep any more surface gunk from building up.

And then, going forward, use 1oz of Marvel Mystery Oil in every tank to start building up a thin coating of oil to stop whatever metal breakdown is happening inside your tank.

The inline fuel filter is a must on this bike and will help keep your new carb as clean as you are about to get it.

You can do this, man. It's no big thing. You're only a couple of hours away from a running bike again.

Keep up the good work.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #17
GilHirien

Thanks for the helpful advice guys. It is very much appreciated. I'll try the rag solution first as I have all that on hand. I've also got a brush used to remove excess dirt/lint from the lint trap for a dryer that I plan to use to get some of the less accessible places in the tank. Its bendy and has lots of reach, plus it's nylon so it shouldn't hurt anything and it's good for that kind of stuff. Petcock is gonna have to be removed again regardless, because all the garbage in the carb is obviously in it too. Hope to be riding again this weekend. It will by my first independent transportation in almost a year... O_o
Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #18
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Even better! Freedom and Independence is a very empowering thing.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:23 PM   #19
GilHirien

Holy crap that was trashed. Ok, update. Petcock is apart and soaking. It was almost completely clogged with crap. One of the top filters is off completely. Gonna have to fish that out of the tank here shortly and see what the story is there. That is the cause of the carb being completely choked off it would seem. Fuel filter is purchased and waiting. Back with good news soon I hope.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:18 AM   #20
gz4me +

Many are not aware of the filters in the petcock. A friend around the corner from me kept complaining about his carb. needing cleaned and how he must be doing something wrong because the bike still was not running right. I told him to install in line filter to pick up the crap before it got to carb. During the conversation he mentioned that it seemed as if the carb. was starving for fuel. I asked if he had checked the filters in the petcock. He swore there were none. I bet him $20.00 there was. One hour passed and he came down with $20.00 in his hand and thanked me. He said he was ready to give up and was going to take it to a shop to have the carb. adjusted. After cleaning the filters in the petcock, the bike runs like new. I told him to keep the $20.00 and buy the in line filter to keep him and the carb. happy.

Tags
carburetor, compression, fuel filter, throttle