Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
TrevorG

New handgrips

Just wondering if anybody's had success putting new grips on their bike. Mine was dropped once on each side before I got it so both bar ends are gone and the grips are a little scraped up. I'm not worried about the left side, that's pretty straightforward, but the throttle side seems like it might be a pain as it's got a little plastic ridge on the outer edge that slots into the rubber. Of course, it's all broken on mine since it was dropped but I'm thinking it may give me some trouble.

So, has anybody done this and, if so, what's your advice for me?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-03-2014, 03:33 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Sounds like you are in need of a throttle tube to start with. It should be intact with no damage for proper function and safety. ebay is your best bet for that. Then you need to make a decision for bar ends or not. I personally prefer bar ends and the fact that they save the bars and grips from damage in a drop. Bar ends will determine which grips you buy.
All in all it is no big deal and a fairly easy job so don't get worried about a stressful job. We can walk you through it to a successful conclusion.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #3
kmrcstintn

had my favorite shop mount ProGrips 761 gel open end grips on my GZ; the tech had to slightly alter the throttle tube to get the achieved results; they fit well, look great, feel comfortable, and dampen vibration better than stock grips...

Old 06-10-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Gel grips are something I've never tried but they are likely a great improvement.
I did use Grip Puppies over the OEM grips on my Vstrom and they were nice. They are just a foam sleeve but work quite nicely and with the slightly larger end result your hands/fingers are more comfy on a longer ride.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:08 PM   #5
celesboy1

i'm using harris grips and very satisfied with it