Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
chandlerbingfl

Broken bolt? Hard starting...

Well over the last few weeks my GZ has been hard to start, especially first time of the day. When hot or at least warm, it starts much easier. I had my mechanic look at the bike and he found that one of the "head bolts/studs" has either been rusted and can't be tightened or is broken. He suspects that the gasket is causing the starting issue because of lack of pressure. When I do ride the bike feels pretty much normal engine wise but top end in 5th is lacking. Maybe it's the 50 pounds I've put on lol....

After listening to my mech and doing some research on my own, I figure that in order to replace the gasket and remove/replace the bad bolt/stud, a tear down is needed...

I'm just looking for some advice from others that may have done this. My mech says might be a $600-$800 job to replace stud/bolt and gasket.

Any possibility this could be a carb issue? The only reason I'm ruling out the carb is the way the bike runs while riding...

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks in advance!
chandlerbingfl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
blaine

Did your mechanic do a compression test.....That will remove any doubt!!..

Old 12-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #3
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
Did your mechanic do a compression test.....That will remove any doubt!!..
I can appreciate that but since the bolt itself is not secure I can't imagine that the gasket would be doing it's job. Even without confirming with a test I am probably 90+% there is some compression loss.

Just before this hard starting, bolt/stud issue, I had offers of $1200 for the bike which I paid $2000 five years ago. I believe I've gotten my money's worth at this point.

My real question throughout all this is really whether it's feasible to do the teardown to repair the bolt/stud, plus the possibility of additional repairs/parts replacement, or to look at just getting a new bike.

chandlerbingfl

Old 12-20-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
blaine

At the price you were quoted....It may be best to sell & use the extra to upgrade......It's time!!!

Old 12-27-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
celesboy1

Hard to start in the morning ussually caused by carb...

U can try loosen air screw in the bottom carb....just a little...about 45 degree (1/4) counter clock

Or buy one step bigger pilot jet

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Old 12-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
At the price you were quoted....It may be best to sell & use the extra to upgrade......It's time!!!
Gotta agree with Blaine. After 5 years the bike owes you nothing so getting any amount for an ailing bike might be a bonus.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:31 PM   #7
chandlerbingfl

Thank you all for the replies! I've been out of town so I haven't had a chance to check here and reply. Since I've been gone the bike sat, when I got home today I tried starting it. I'm not going to go into detail, I charged the battery after trying to start her so many times. Still no go so I decided to try to push start her. I got the bike moving, jumped on and popped the clutch (in 2nd gear) and she fired right up!

Now I'm thinking even though I charged the battery, it's still not working properly.

Maybe my 14 month old battery has bit the dust? Maybe it's the charging system or part of it? Thought I'd post here before I bought a new one.

Comments appreciated,
TIA
chandlerbingfl
Old 01-06-2016, 04:01 AM   #8
alantf

Nine times out of ten, with the gz, it's the battery. Last year my bike had a fairly new battery, when I broke my femur. I couldn't use the bike for around three months, and couldn't get down to the underground parking to charge it. Result - one useless battery that wouldn't hold a charge, and had to be replaced.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:21 PM   #9
chandlerbingfl

Well I checked the battery with my Harbor Freight free multi-meter and the battery which should be fully charged (had it on charger several hours) is only throwing 11v. When I push start and get the bike running the voltage at the battery posts reads 14v.

Guess it's time to order a battery...

Thanks all,
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Nine times out of ten, with the gz, it's the battery. Last year my bike had a fairly new battery, when I broke my femur. I couldn't use the bike for around three months, and couldn't get down to the underground parking to charge it. Result - one useless battery that wouldn't hold a charge, and had to be replaced.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
chandlerbingfl

Well I got the new battery today and wish I could say that my hard starting problem was resolved but the only thing it confirmed was a compression problem.

The bike runs fairly strong when I do ride. I've been push starting it (yes, that's getting old) and generally fires right up. I guess that there is enough difference in the compression when I push start it as opposed to just using the started. Can anyone confirm this?

On a secondary note, is there anywhere I can find some sort of teardown to replace the gasket? Has anyone on here done this before? At this point I'm not ready to give up my bike, financial reasons being one. I consider myself a shade tree mechanic, so I think I could replace it on my own....

Thanks for the input,
chandlerbingfl