Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Tonckawa

Florida Motorcycle Safety Course

Will be going through the course this coming weekend. I need to for lower insurance rate, get endorsement on license and so I can drive on Navy Base where I work. Not sure I am looking forward to it actually because of the long 2 days in a row, in the heat of the day in full gear. Get there at 6:30 am and go until 4:30 pm Saturday and Sunday. 6 pm to 9 pm Friday though. I can at least legally ride my bike back and forth there. Doubt they will let me use my own bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
davtnn

Don't know about Fla .. but the one i took in Tennessee was fun... and possibly the best money i spent in that year .. and it was also summer and rained a bit .. but we had som very enthusiastic students and darned good instructors that could critique with out criticism ... Hope you have an enjoyable experience also
Old 06-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
bigwonton

Have fun at the MSF course. When I took the class, on the motorcycle days, they gave us breaks after two sessions to give us time to rest and rehydrate.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
rayzuki

in oregon they will let you use your own bike as long as you show proof of insurance.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:41 AM   #5
Badbob

Your paying the money to scratch up someone else's bike. At least thats the way I look at it.

Dump the bike once in the course and its paid for. My wife dropped hers several times when she went. She was upset enough with out it being her new baby.

In the class I took the only person who dropped their bike was the most experienced rider in the class.

If I remember right they will let you ride your own bike in the beginners course in Tallahassee FL

Old 06-25-2008, 11:33 AM   #6
davidsuserid

Send a message via AIM to davidsuserid
I took the class here in Orlando at OOSI and they frowned upon you even riding your bike to the class. You had to use their bikes (rebels, eliminators, and 2 enduros). We had 2 ladies in the class who showed up JUST to keep a 3rd lady company. They actually told one of them to not come back the second day, and the other one had to learn on a little Honda 50 CC scooter because she couldn't get the shifting and foot brake down pact. Everyone in my class passed, although it seemed like 1 or 2 shouldn't have. But I guess the class is more designed to at least tell you HOW to do the stuff than it is to ensure you actually know what you are doing.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
LilNinja77

Quote:
Everyone in my class passed, although it seemed like 1 or 2 shouldn't have.
That was how it was when I took the class last summer as well. We had 2 people fail; one for running in to another student, and one for dropping the bike during the final test. But out of the 10 others that passed I would say that at least 2 or 3 more should've probably failed. I'm not saying that 'cause I didn't like them, I got along with everyone in the course; but they genuinely didn't have a good deal of control over their motorcycles. There's a difference between knowing how to control a bike, and getting plain lucky that you didn't drop it or stall out......and IMO anyone who is watching can tell the difference rather easily. But, what do you expect with more and more people signing up for the courses......

Also, 3 or 4 of the students in my course rode their own motorcycles to the course. One lady rode on the back of her husbands' Yamaha FZ1, and he hung around and watched us both days out on the range. The instructors didn't seem to mind.
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 06-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
Badbob

The instructors are given criteria for the test. If a student meets the criteria they pass. Its not about turning out expert riders its about keeping you form running into a tree or killing yourself by some other method.

I rode a GZ125 in the class that had the throttle cable routed wrong and the engine would speed up to 3000 rpm when I made a hard left turn. You can imagine what the box was like with that.

GZ125 is not a typo.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
LilNinja77

Quote:
Its not about turning out expert riders its about keeping you form running into a tree or killing yourself by some other method.
Exactly my point of concern......the riders I was referring to only passed by pure luck, it was quite obvious to myself (and several other classmates) that they were having a great deal of difficulty operating their motorcycles and were not what you would call "in control" of their machines. I don't say that as a way of looking down on them, I just say it in the pursuit of safe riding. A lot of people don't understand that just passing the BRC doesn't suddenly make you a skilled street-rider, they get the completion card and then just jump on the street without giving themselves any further training. Like you said, it's just about teaching the bare-bones basics, it takes time and miles to really learn the ins-and-outs of street-riding; and the only time you really stop learning is when you stop riding....either by choice or by death.

Being good friends with two ex-MSF instructors has really opened my eyes on how things have changed within the MSF over the years as more and more people have picked up motorcycing as a means of transportation. Like I said, with the classes filling up and having waiting-lists, what can you really expect......All I know is regardless of riding experience, it's a great idea to brush up on critical riding manuevers and techniques on a regular basis. I try to make it out to my local abandoned warehouse about every 2 or 3 weeks as a general rule. If the drivers are being especially dumb (like now, in the summer for instance), it can be a weekly trip. The warehouse is on the back-roads way to the grocery store, so it's just part of my routine. Spend a couple minutes just re-learning the limits of the tires and brakes, and then I'm on my way. Just my .02
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 06-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbob
I rode a GZ125 in the class that had the throttle cable routed wrong and the engine would speed up to 3000 rpm when I made a hard left turn. You can imagine what the box was like with that.

you mean GZ250?