Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 06-25-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
burbin1978

I saw this Science channel episode called Mars Rising or something. Anyway, they were talking about the new space suit that they are going to take to Mars. They use this fabric called Super Fabric. It is supposed to be ultra light weight and 15x more durable than leather. I read that they make gloves out of this stuff. Surgeons and cops use the gloves so that they won't get poked with any needles or cut themselves with knives. Anyone know of any companies making jackets out of this stuff? I didn't find anything on-line. I did find the military gloves at (http://www.uscav.com/prod_9341_tabid_54 ... 0%20Gloves). Nothing on jackets though.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
That hot pink vest and chaps outfit would look fabulous(th) on you JIB!
that's the one i was looking at!! it's great, huh?

....yeah no.

there is a lot of ridiculous stuff on there. but a few good-looking jackets for cheap, so i think i'm gonna look into their return policy and maybe give it a go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbin1978
They use this fabric called Super Fabric. It is supposed to be ultra light weight and 15x more durable than leather. I read that they make gloves out of this stuff.
that link didn't work (for me at least), but i found them on the same site: http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.asp...D=9341&TabID=1.
it looks like it's only "stronger" than leather relative to the thickness of the fabric; like when people tell you that spiderwebs are 10x stronger than steel. but nobody builds skyscrapers out of spiderwebs (not yet, anyway). i'm sure the stuff is great for gloves and probably a ton of other things, but i doubt it would hold up to what a motorcycle jacket would go through. just my thoughts.[/url]

edit:
here are some bits from nakedleatherbiker's shipping/return policies:
http://nakedleatherbiker.com/shipping.php

"...we employ a fixed standard ground shipping charge of $12.00 per order for items shipped in the continental U.S., in one package, and with a total weight under 10 pounds. For packages weighing more than 10 pounds, there is an additional handling fee of $8.00."

"Returns and Exchanges

All returns must be postmarked no later than 30 days from the original customer shipment date. Returns and exchanges must be in new condition and include original product packaging.

There is a restock fee of 20% for any returned, undamaged product. If exchanging an item there is not a restock fee, and the customer pays shipping charges.

To return or exchange an item, contact us by email. We will then forward the proper documentation via a Word attachment for you to print out and place in the box with the return item. Shipping instructions along with the warehouse address will be included in the email. Do not ship to our offices as this will incur an extra shipping charge."

so: for a $150 jacket, if it doesn't fit i'm looking at a $30 re-stocking fee plus $12 shipping each way. so i'm out $54 if their product sucks. i don't do a whole lot of online shopping but i would bet this is at the "crappy" end of the spectrum.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:29 PM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

In all seriousness, did you see my post about new riding gear?
The jacket that I purchased is lightweight, lets air flow through it, is of good quality and only costs about $65, all while offering armored bits in your color choice.

Old 06-25-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
JIBTEXHNKA

Send a message via AIM to JIBTEXHNKA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
In all seriousness, did you see my post about new riding gear?
The jacket that I purchased is lightweight, lets air flow through it, is of good quality and only costs about $65.

probably, but i'm usually at work when i'm on here and i'm not always paying attention. lemme go take a look

edit:
look taked. i definitely wasn't paying attention the first time; that looks like a really good deal. i didn't see you mention the brand/style or anything, and i don't think i just missed it. would you mind telling me the name of the ebay seller you used?
Old 06-25-2008, 03:48 PM   #15
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Bottom of page 1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEXTILE- ... QQtcZphoto

The seller had great communication and shipping was very fast. Their after-sale communication left some to be desired but that's just because I needed a refund on the saddlebags and I don't let people dick me around. The jacket's great. I wear it everyday.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
Badbob

I have one of these. Lots of air flow.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/bushwa ... hacker.htm
Old 06-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
burbin1978

Yeah Badbob,
I like the silver one. Looks to be like what I'm looking for. Do you wear it without the liner? Where did you get it? On-line?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 PM   #18
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbin1978
Yeah Badbob,
I like the silver one. Looks to be like what I'm looking for. Do you wear it without the liner? Where did you get it? On-line?
I've not used the liner yet.

I bought it at a Local BMW dealer. They were only about $10 more expensive than ordering it and I got to try them all on. My wife is very hard to fit and they ordered a jacket for her just to try on so I figured it was worth the extra ten bucks. I've been in there several times and they never once tried to BS me and were always helpful so I gave them some money.

I'm not sure I like the silver. It shows the dirt real easy. However it is much cooler than my other mesh jacket plus it has a liner and pockets.