Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #11
Skunkhome

Re: electric motorcycles are coming to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I'd like to see modern tech take a fancy to a modern steam car. It wouldn't take a lot of keroseneor heating oil to heat water and create lots and lots of steam. Yeah, check the oil and fill er up with the garden hose. :2tup:
The idea is the same but they have come up with a closed system that heats "freon" that is 10 -12 times more reactive to heat than water and much heavier. It boils at lower temps and delivers far more energy to the piston than steam. As for the compressed air car... It has far less potential and mileage per liter than any other proposed energy sourse.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Thanks guys. That is really quite fascinating. Now why doesn't the governments of our respective countries consider these alternatives ??.................................Oh yeah, they can't make any real money promoting something good for taxpayers.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #13
mrlmd1

I would hate to be inside that and get hit by any other car, or even by a Goldwing!

Old 03-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
Skunkhome

Well, MDI, made some claims in recent years that their compressed air car was capable of speeds of 68 mph for a distance of 80km but to this date they have not produced proof of those claims. The best anyone has been able to achieve in independent studies using MDI's specifications is a range of 7.22km per charge. The problem is that the energy density of compressed air even at 4500 psi is very low even in comparison to the most inefficient lead-acid batteries. Air power has been successfully used in service vehicles and platform trucks in plant operations where air supply points are readily available but still have not proven to be as effective as battery operated equipment. One major issue with compressed air is the tremendous amount of heat energy that is absorbed when the air expands. The air needs to be rewarmed with a heat exchanger to keep air pressure at an optimum level. The heat exchanger can serve as A/C in warm climates but would be ineffective in cold or even cool climates. Any moisture in the air will readily turn to ice and plug up airports and freeze up the motor. Since compressed air technology is cheap the vehicles would be inexpensive...with that being the case if it were viable for transportation we would already see them in every driveway IMO.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

A few years ago Chrysler Corp. was making big waves about their wonderful Natural Gas powered minivans. That was looking good until one was taken on a road trip. With very few refueling stations and it's rather sad range per fill it was a major exercise to get anywhere. It was towed a lot. Gotta love the mag writers who test these things for us.
Quite a number of years ago a friend of mine had a NG powered company pick-up. Would have been great if he only had to circle the block around the refueling station and didn't need to haul anything. Compressed NG tanks are big and heavy while the natural gas didn't pack the punch to really haul the weight around. My friend(Bob) had his own Dodge Ram running on Liquid Propane Gas which was a much better way to drive in his opinion. As a long range commuter the Ram excelled and was very cost effective compared to gasoline.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #16
greatmaul

I saw a "Zero" motorcycle today in Sacramento. It looked rather well used, and it was noisier than I thought. Mostly just clanking, etc. no engine noise, of course. Was a dual sport style.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:39 AM   #17
Water Warrior 2

The clanking might be a good thing. It give folks a heads up that something is coming. I have had quiet electric scooters zoom past me on the sidewalk and scare me half to death. They need a piece of cardboard sticking into the spokes to make some noise.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:05 PM   #18
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The clanking might be a good thing. It give folks a heads up that something is coming. I have had quiet electric scooters zoom past me on the sidewalk and scare me half to death. They need a piece of cardboard sticking into the spokes to make some noise.
playing cards and clothes pins as we used to do on bicycles as kids