Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 02-13-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
gzvirgin

Carb repair idle problem jets interchanged

Just bought a 2007 GZ with 800 miles on it for $1,100. Not a bad deal I thought, until I got it home and it wouldn't idle when warm. Starts perfect, but once warm it would NOT IDLE. I rebuilt the carb, new everything (not just the gaskets, etc). Same problem. Tinkered with everything, took that carb out and put it back in a dozen times. Then I read that the Main Jet and the Pilot Air Jet are the two that control the idle mixture. I went back to the parts diagram and discovered that I had interchanged these two jets (they fit in both holes). I wasn't reading the parts diagram correctly - 30 goes into the side of the carb and 28 is under the diaphragm. Anyway, thought I might save someone some time by posting this. Oh - and I'm new to the forum.
Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Welcome to the forum gzvirgin. I am sure you will save someone lots of time and frustration with your post. Sometimes it's the little things that can drive you nuts. Enjoy the forum. It is a great place to learn pretty much everything about your new ride. I own a '09' GZ and love it. It is my daily commuter and fits the kind of riding I do these days. I think you will enjoy the simplicity of this bike which allows you to do most, if not all, of your own maintenance depending on your mechanical ability. Safe riding.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:21 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzvirgin View Post
Just bought a 2007 GZ with 800 miles on it for $1,100. Not a bad deal I thought, until I got it home and it wouldn't idle when warm. Starts perfect, but once warm it would NOT IDLE. I rebuilt the carb, new everything (not just the gaskets, etc). Same problem. Tinkered with everything, took that carb out and put it back in a dozen times. Then I read that the Main Jet and the Pilot Air Jet are the two that control the idle mixture. I went back to the parts diagram and discovered that I had interchanged these two jets (they fit in both holes). I wasn't reading the parts diagram correctly - 30 goes into the side of the carb and 28 is under the diaphragm. Anyway, thought I might save someone some time by posting this. Oh - and I'm new to the forum.
Thanks.
Welcome gzvirgin. Good catch concerning the jets. And yes you will surely help the next rider with carb problems due to a mix up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Tags
carburetor rebuild, idle, main jet, pilot air jet