Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-29-2016, 12:49 PM   #1
lavenderloins

No Power, Battery tests good

I am having a bit of a unique problem with my bike. It has sat for a bit, and in that time the battery had died. I hooked it up to the charger on the 2 AMP setting, and let it charge until it said it was good to go. I turned the key, had lights and power. Went to start it and it made a light pop sound under me, and from that moment had no power. I have checked the 20AMP fuse by the battery, it is good. I have tested the battery at the local autoparts store, it is good. Even if it wasn't charged all the way, I should still get dim lights, right?

Here is the weird part: I get power on the bike if it is hooked up to the charger. Obviously not enough to turn it over, but the lights come on, I get ignition, everything. How is it that my battery can test out good and be fully charged, but not even give me dim lights, but when plugged in I get power? I clamped the negative lead of the charger to the block, and to the frame while running, and each time lights came on, then turned off the moment I took the clamp off.

I am just lost on what in the world is wrong with this thing. I can't find any melted connections, or bad wires. Everything looks fine. What am I missing?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-29-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Your battery might test OK but sometimes a cell can collapse causing problems. Just a guess on my part. I had that happen with one of my cars, same scenario. Bad battery.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
lavenderloins

Vegas, thanks. That helps a lot. I am going to slap a new battery into the thing and see what that does for me. I will post with results.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:29 PM   #4
spldart

I think I agree with VSR. One or more of your cells is going open circuit.
May I ask how long the charger took to bring your old battery up to full charge?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:21 PM   #5
lavenderloins

Alright, new battery and I am cruising around town once again. Thanks a lot guys

Tags
battery, charger, power, start