Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 09-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
sqrimp

2001 GZ won't start

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and bikes in general as this 2001 GZ250 is my first one.

Background info:
I bought this 2001 GZ250 with 8k miles on it, and it started fine. I took it to my storage garage and kept it there. 3 weeks later, I came back to take it out for a spin. This is where things go wrong, and it won't keep an idle. It would idle maybe 1 out of 10 attempts to start it, and would eventually shut off.

Details and things to note:
1. The kickstand is up, engine switch is on, it is in neutral, and clutch is engaged.
2. The choke was turned on because it was a cold start.
3. The starter turns and cranks.
4. The battery started dying after constantly trying to start it, and had to be jumped with a car a few times because of which.
5. The carb was extremely clean.
6. There were some particles trapped in the fuel screen filter.

I'll admit I am savvy with fuel injected cars, but tinkering with a carbed bike is a whole new ball game for me. If there is any information I'm missing, please ask and I'll try my best to answer. any help is appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
Rookie Rider

Re: 2001 GZ won't start

Check that your battery is fully charged being it sat for 3 weeks and maybe turn your idle up a bit. Make sure your petcock is turned to the on position before the start. How do you know your carb is clean ? Put some seafoam in your filled up gas tank. Someone with more knowledge will be here shortly to help out. Good luck and you are in the right place, welcome aboard.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #3
Rookie Rider

Did you clean out the fuel filter ?

Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
sqrimp

The petcock is in the on position, and I removed the carb and opened it up. the previous owner claimed to have cleaned it, and upon my findings it was squeaky clean. I did clean out the fuel filter screen as well. I'm not sure that the idle adjustment would help, because upon managing it to start, any throttle would result in killing it..

would a spark be an issue here? is there a way to check if the plug is firing?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

If it starts the plug is firing. When you start the bike try to back off the choke a bit(slowly)as it warms up. I think you may just be not familiar enough with the bike yet.
Oh, before I forget. If/when you jump the bike from a car be sure the car is NOT RUNNING. Bad things can happen.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
sqrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
If it starts the plug is firing. When you start the bike try to back off the choke a bit(slowly)as it warms up. I think you may just be not familiar enough with the bike yet.
Oh, before I forget. If/when you jump the bike from a car be sure the car is NOT RUNNING. Bad things can happen.
ah crap. The car was indeed running when I jumped the bike. What kind of bad things happen? Also how long am i suppose to let it sit on the choke to warm up? it was a cool day, not necessarily cold.

again, thanks for all of your inputs, i am definitely taking into consideration everything in trying to troubleshoot this thing. cheers
Old 10-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Make sure your petcock is turned to the on position before the start.
There is no "on" position on the petcock! Just "prime", "run", & "reserve". "run" & "res" require engine vacuum to open the flow. "pri" doesn't need vacuum. Did you try setting it to "pri" for a few seconds to fill the carb, before trying to start it? (note that the long side of the lever should point towards the position that you select)
Old 10-01-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
sqrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Make sure your petcock is turned to the on position before the start.
There is no "on" position on the petcock! Just "prime", "run", & "reserve". "run" & "res" require engine vacuum to open the flow. "pri" doesn't need vacuum. Did you try setting it to "pri" for a few seconds to fill the carb, before trying to start it? (note that the long side of the lever should point towards the position that you select)
i did not leave it on primer because after trying to start the bike multiple times, the fuel line was flooded, and i could only assume the carb was filled as well. also on that note, my petcock quick literally says 'on', and the long end was indeed facing it, but i imagine on and run are the same things?
Old 10-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
Rookie Rider

Thank you alan.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Rookie Rider

I get confused sometimes cause the one i have on my geezer isnt the original petcock.