Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 03-21-2021, 11:34 PM   #1
BabyGoat

Stalls out when I shift into 1st

So my clutch cable recently snapped and I had to replace it. Not a big deal, I was able to do it without much trouble after watching a Youtube video. But now I have 2 problems--1)the clutch lever is super loose. It's an OEM part so I feel like it shouldn't be too long. I adjusted it at both ends and it still won't spring back into position when I let go of the lever. It just wants to stay in, almost like something is sticking. It also wiggles a lot the other way, like if I grab the end and jiggle it up and down.
Bigger problem 2) is that the bike immediately dies when I shift into 1st. I had my kickstand switch/wiring replaced not long ago so I'm pretty sure that's not it.
Help!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-22-2021, 01:43 AM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

If it is that loose, your clutch probably isn't disengaging and your engine dies. When you shift into first does the bike lurch before it dies? Just trying to understand exactly what is happening.

When you attached the new clutch cable to the shifter arm was the arm pushed all the way toward the rear of the bike? Also, recheck whatever YouTube video you were watching and if all else fails, check your manual, if you have one. There should be no more than half an inch play in the clutch handle.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #3
BabyGoat

Yeah it lurches and then quits. The cable is definitely too long (I have to try adjusting at the clutch end again) and I assume isn't disengaging fully even with the lever pulled all the way in.

I feel like the clutch end also isn't springing back into place like it should though. Is there a spring somewhere that might be missing?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-24-2021, 11:46 AM   #4
Vegas Street Rider

I don't believe so. Once you attach your cable at both ends, push the clutch arm all the way to the rear of the bike. Then, clamp down the cable sheath to the housing. The rest of the adjustment is then made on the handle bar side. You can do minor adjustment at the clutch housing end if you end up with some play, but not that much.