Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 04-24-2021, 05:38 PM   #1
mrk4113

Exhaust Rocker Arm Play

Hi All,

First time poster. I undertook my first valve adjustment last weekend. Only the exhaust valves were out of spec, so I adjusted the gap to .006", which is .001" out of spec (manual says .003" - .005"), but I figured it was close enough to see.

I started the bike up, no issues, but there was a really loud clacking sound that seemed to be coming from the exhaust valves, so I shut everything down. Bike was running for 10 secs max, before I turned it off.

This weekend, I decided to have another go and adjust the exhaust valves to within spec. I decided, before making any adjustments, I'd check to see what the exhaust valve gap was at TDC.

I was using my feeler gauge to measure the gap between the valve stem and rocker arm, when I realized there's a fair amount of play on my rocker arm. I can physically shift the rocker arm up and down when the engine is at TDC. The intake arm does not do this.

Is this normal?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #2
mrk4113

Nevermind, just a motorcycle noob. As soon as I adjusting the gap, everything started tightening up. I was able to set the valve / rocker arm gap to spec by tightening the screw.

Tags
rocker arm loose