Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: My First Night Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by toha
Can you guys tell me which specific model of Silverstar would fit GZ? Would this one work, or there is another one (better one?):
http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-H4ST-BP- ... B000AM8BN6
This would be better for you. The other one is an Ultra which has a shorter life due to vibration of the bike. Which ever you buy, get 2 and carry a spare with you. Wrap the new spare in it's package with cloth to absorb vibration. The cloth will help protect the package too. Carry a small flashlight in case you need to change a bulb after dark.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
toha

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Thanks!
Glad to help. We share our experience and knowledge. That's what is great about any forum.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #14
dentheman

I went riding at night one time and did not like it at all. I need to do it more often to get used to it.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:10 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Lynda didn't like night riding with her GZ very much. Even with a SilverStar bulb she would follow me with her high beam on. The GZ lacks the ability to light up some of the critters that wander at night along the highways. If I did a lot of night riding on a GZ I would invest in some of the better LED driving lights on the market. The GZ would have enough power to support them but the wallet would be a lot thinner for a while.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way
I wasn't sure where to put this but since I'm a newb, I figured I'd share some of my lessons/impressions here. ....
..... This ride was also a test of the OEM windshield height versus the bug-o-polis I ride through. It should be noted that as another member of this forum did, I inverted the mounting brackets so the windshield gained about 2-3 inches in height, level with the bridge of my nose. I was looking over the top through the shield of my full face helmet. Turns out to be the exact right height for me at 5'7". I rode through plenty of bugs but none really hit me at all. So the OEM windshield has worked out well for me.
your comments about the windshield hit home. I too have the small OEM windshield and had been looking for a new one because the wind noise from it was incredible. I could hear nothing but wind with or without plugs. I am only about 5' 10" but am very tall from the waist up. The turbulance coming off the top of the shield was buffeting my face badly right at eye level. It was really effecting my level of enjoyment and I am sure my shifting was suffering as I absolutely could not hear the shirt points. This evening I tried the trick of turning the windshield mounts upside down and swaping them left for right. Funny that looking at the brackets you would think the difference in height would be only about an inch and a half but it turns out to be better than twice that. The result is it apparently moves the wind turbulence up over the top edge of my helmit. The result is a much quieter ride even with a half helmit and with the full open face helmit it is even more quiet to the point that I can now hear the chain running. I took a ride tonight and was astounded that I can now hear everything going on around me and can now hear my shift points. It certainly improves my riding pleasure and I am sure will improve my shifting now that I can hear the engine.

It may be a bit strange looking mounted that high but the end results are nothing short of astounding. I wonder how it will change my fuel economy plus or minus. Without my face being up in the wind.
I would expect it to improve.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #17
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Wrap the new spare in it's package with cloth to absorb vibration. The cloth will help protect the package too.
I like to wrap mine in a rubber (latex?) glove (like surgeons use) so that while I'm changing it, I can get a good grip when I put the glove on, & I don't touch the bulb with my bare hand (which is most important) (I also use a glove when I'm changing the halogen bulb in our bathroom vanity unit) :2tup: