Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 05-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: Law makers are not riders.

I agree with not pursuing a high speed chase due to collateral damage or injuries but I find it really dissappointing that the ones that are caught do not get a much harsher penalty. There are just too many folks out there who will pay the fine and continue breaking the laws while taking no real responsibility for their actions.
I was talking to one of the local LEO's about the twit who was apparently the high speed Utube racer on Vancouver Island. He pays the fines and continues to ride with no license or insurance. Why can't a law be passed that allows for the bike to be impounded and destroyed. At least he will be off the streets till he can afford another bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 AM   #12
Rionna

I totally agree WW! You are right the penalties and consequences should be stiffer.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #13
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Why can't a law be passed that allows for the bike to be impounded and destroyed.
This law exists in England. All police vehicles are fitted with licence plate recognition cameras linked to the central computer. The insurance, annual tax, safety inspection, & registered owner's details, etc, of every vehicle in England is on the computer. If the camera recognises a licence plate with something not right, it sounds an alert so that the vehicle can be stopped & checked. If there is a problem, the vehicle is immediately towed. The owner then has 14 days to get the insurance etc to release the vehicle (and pay the fine, plus towing & storage) If nothing is done within 14 days, the vehicle is crushed.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
dentheman

Speaking of stolen bikes, I thought I would throw this in:

My daughter has a friend who bought a 2011 sport bike (I don't know the make). A couple weeks ago it was stolen. Then the thief and his girlfriend got into a fight and she turned him in. The police recovered the bike.

The owner will have to pay over $1000 to replace the ignition switch and the messed-up bodywork (forgot what the plastic 'shroud' is called). He doesn't have comprehensive insurance coverage.

ALSO: I am usually against gov't regulations and the big brother mentality, HOWEVER; I think there needs to be some restriction on the top speed capability of ANY motor vehicle. Does anyone really need a cage or a bike that will do 100+ miles per hour? But, the way gov't works, they would write such a regulation in such a way that it would be detrimental to the law-abiding, as such regulations/laws usually are, WW's original post being a case in point.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Old guy preaching again. Most sport bikes are just a race bike with street legal lighting added. They are far too fast for the street in the hands of dare devils and new riders blah blah blah. Take it to the track and really have some fun while being legally allowed to go fast.
It isn't just sport bikes that are too fast though. It is the rider not the bike. Anyone with 400cc's under their butt can usually top 160km(100 mph) and this applies to scooters as well.
I am all for useable power. The kind that allows me to maintain my speed going up the side of a mountain or fighting a strong headwind. I'm all for the power that allows for safely passing that transport truck or bus but just plain speed type of power is not my bag. End of sermon.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #16
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Does anyone really need a cage or a bike that will do 100+ miles per hour?
Yes, the government does! How else are they going to swell their coffers with the speeding fines if vehicles were restricted? :whistle:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Does anyone really need a cage or a bike that will do 100+ miles per hour?
Yes, the government does! How else are they going to swell their coffers with the speeding fines if vehicles were restricted? :whistle:
I never looked at it that way. I guess we will always have fast machines to play with and make the gov happy.