Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 10-12-2011, 01:12 AM   #21

Re: Shifting Gears / Clutch / Transmission --- How to operat

Thank you for the responses. Especially from Gz Rider, your answers really cleared things up.

Today was my third time riding in a sem-controlled environment (quiet street or parking lot) and I picked up a better understanding of the clutch from operating it.

Thanks to the input from this forum I WILL:
1. Sign up for the MSF Course (I looked at the local MSF website today but none of their classes fit my schedule yet)
2. Read Proficient Motorcycling (I looked it up at my local library and they are all loaned out, but I will get it when there is one free)
3. Fully read the manual

UNTIL THEN... Please tolerate my newbie questions until I have been afforded the opportunity to take/read those trainings.

So here is my newest newbie question I formulated today:

A) How can I prevent the engine from turning off when I stop for a stop sign or red light?

Today I did the following to stop: Pull in clutch, shift from second gear to first, release clutch, let go of throttle, brake, stop. The engine turned off after I stopped and my speedometer went to zero.

I was able to keep the engine on during a stop when I did the following: Pull in clutch, shift from second gear to first, release clutch, let go of throttle, brake, stop, pull clutch, engage throttle gently while brake is still on (still stopped), then I released clutch to drive off again. Is this the right way to do it? Am I supposed to be pulling on the clutch, brake, and engaging the throttle gently during a full stop to stop the engine from shutting down? If so, this doesn't seem very efficient...

HELP!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-12-2011, 02:25 AM   #22
cayuse

short answer is:
Once you stop, you should be in 1st gear, pulling on the clutch and using one of the brakes. I was taught to use the rear brake (right foot); it gives the throttle hand a rest.
You shouldn't need to engage the throttle at all. If your engine dies with the clutch pulled in you need to tune the idle; maybe it's simply set too low.
Good luck!

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 10-12-2011, 04:04 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayuse
short answer is:
Once you stop, you should be in 1st gear, pulling on the clutch and using one of the brakes. I was taught to use the rear brake (right foot); it gives the throttle hand a rest.
You shouldn't need to engage the throttle at all. If your engine dies with the clutch pulled in you need to tune the idle; maybe it's simply set too low.
Good luck!
I suspect it may be the idle speed. Because sometimes when I coast with clutch and don't use the throttle the engine has turned off. Hopefully, I don't need to pay a mechanic to check to make sure the idling speed is 1300 rpm (per 2-7 of service manual) with a tachometer because I'm not sure how to do it. :retard:

Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 AM   #24
alantf

Firstly, the tickover speed is controlled by the big white knob under the carb.

Secondly, with the engine thoroughly warmed up, & the choke off, the engine in neutral, screw the big white knob in until the engine is running smoothly (it will sound approximately 1½ times as fast as your car sounds at tickover) What you don't want is to hear each "thump" of the engine. The 1300 RPM is really just a starting point to get the tickover as you want it. I don't think any of us here have got it set exactly to the book, & it's certanly not something you need to pay a mechanic to do for you. One of the reasons being that you'll probably have to give it a tweak now and again to get it set as YOU want it. Again, it's just one of the things you'll learn with experience. :2tup:

Edit :- I used the word "tickover". I think the American word is "idle speed"
Old 10-12-2011, 05:36 AM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7653

UNTIL THEN... Please tolerate my newbie questions until I have been afforded the opportunity to take/read those trainings.

So here is my newest newbie question I formulated today:

A) How can I prevent the engine from turning off when I stop for a stop sign or red light?

Today I did the following to stop: Pull in clutch, shift from second gear to first, release clutch, let go of throttle, brake, stop. The engine turned off after I stopped and my speedometer went to zero.

I was able to keep the engine on during a stop when I did the following: Pull in clutch, shift from second gear to first, release clutch, let go of throttle, brake, stop, pull clutch, engage throttle gently while brake is still on (still stopped), then I released clutch to drive off again. Is this the right way to do it? Am I supposed to be pulling on the clutch, brake, and engaging the throttle gently during a full stop to stop the engine from shutting down? If so, this doesn't seem very efficient...

HELP!!!
You should be pulling in the clutch just a few feet before coming to a stop. That dis-engages the engine from the back wheel. The engine should remain idling on it's own without opening the throttle. It may need the idle adjusted if it stops on it's own.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:35 AM   #26
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:

....You can't sit at a red light without having the clutch pulled or the bike in neutral.
Same concept as a manual transmission car. The engine will die, as you are describing, if you don't disengage it from the drive system.
You are effectively stalling out everytime you stop because of bad form.

As far as the little bit where you feel you have to give the bike gas to keep it from stalling out, even when you have the clutch pulled in, you're either over reacting because you're paranoid of your previous stalls or you need to adjust your idle speed. There is a large white knob sticking off the side of the carb just for this purpose. Don't go crazy with it, though. a bump in one direction or the other should be fine. And don't adjust it until the bike is warmed up. Also, make sure you aren't leaving the choke on while you ride...
Old 10-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #27
Gz Rider

Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 AM   #28
mrlmd1

Good explanation of how engine and wheels are connected through the transmission, but he is going to get overwhelmed with information he cannot use at this stage of development - like idle adjustments, idle speed, clutch adjustment, etc.
I'll say it again - Get a book and take a course ASAP and stay off the streets and roads until you do - you are going to hurt yourself and the bike. There are just too many things you do not know, to be attempting to ride around in public - like proper braking, countersteering, lean, and a host of other things aside from how to shift gears and how the clutch works. You attempting to teach yourself from scratch is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Would you go to a self-taught heart surgeon or brain surgeon for some life-saving procedure?
I personally don't think it's a good idea to potentiate this kind of advice on here and encourage this type of absolute newbie behavior. You cannot teach someone to ride safely by giving answers to questions like these. Just my opinion.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #29
Gz Rider

Old 10-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Good explanation of how engine and wheels are connected through the transmission, but he is going to get overwhelmed with information he cannot use at this stage of development - like idle adjustments, idle speed, clutch adjustment, etc.
I'll say it again - Get a book and take a course ASAP and stay off the streets and roads until you do - you are going to hurt yourself and the bike. There are just too many things you do not know, to be attempting to ride around in public - like proper braking, countersteering, lean, and a host of other things aside from how to shift gears and how the clutch works. You attempting to teach yourself from scratch is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Would you go to a self-taught heart surgeon or brain surgeon for some life-saving procedure?
I personally don't think it's a good idea to potentiate this kind of advice on here and encourage this type of absolute newbie behavior. You cannot teach someone to ride safely by giving answers to questions like these. Just my opinion.
As I said:

Quote:
Thanks to the input from this forum I WILL:
1. Sign up for the MSF Course (I looked at the local MSF website today but none of their classes fit my schedule yet)
2. Read Proficient Motorcycling (I looked it up at my local library and they are all loaned out, but I will get it when there is one free)
3. Fully read the manual