Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
dentheman

Rarely mentioned safety gear.

EARPLUGS! After going on a few rides at highway speeds, the wind noise from my helmet convinced me I need to get earplugs before I go on another ride. That hiss/roar of wind will cause permanent hearing loss, and I want to continue to enjoy music and conversation.

When safety gear is mentioned, most will think of helmet, gloves, etc., but earplugs usually aren't mentioned, even in motorcyling books.

I will go earplug shopping in the morning, so I can ride in a couple days when it is supposed to get warmer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Rarely mentioned safety gear.

Excellent post! Also one of the reasons I use a windshield. :cool: :2tup:

Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Ear plugs are part of my regular riding gear. They are cheap and easy to replace when they get dirty or lost. I always have spares on the bike just in case. Give them to other riders when you can too.
Having been in some dicussions and my own experience in the past about wearing ear plugs I have a few things to say. They will improve your ability to hear other vehicles around you. They will prevent rider fatigue from high levels of noise. You can find earplugs that are comfy. The 1st pair you try may not be the most comfy so have a 2nd go at it. I can hear Lynda much better over our radios with earplugs.
If need be, a custom made set of ear plugs is a small investment in your hearing health. Don't wait till your hearing or lack of hearing is like mine.
Occupational Health and Safety standards exist for a reason. Hearing is addressed for a reason.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Ear plugs are part of my regular riding gear. They are cheap and easy to replace when they get dirty or lost. I always have spares on the bike just in case. Give them to other riders when you can too.
Having been in some dicussions and my own experience in the past about wearing ear plugs I have a few things to say. They will improve your ability to hear other vehicles around you. They will prevent rider fatigue from high levels of noise. You can find earplugs that are comfy. The 1st pair you try may not be the most comfy so have a 2nd go at it. I can hear Lynda much better over our radios with earplugs.
If need be, a custom made set of ear plugs is a small investment in your hearing health. Don't wait till your hearing or lack of hearing is like mine.
Occupational Health and Safety standards exist for a reason. Hearing is addressed for a reason.
In the past I have used the foam earplugs when shooting and when working around jet engines and they worked well for me, so that is where I will begin. I do have a set of the rubbery military type earplugs, but they are the wrong size and do nothing to attenuate noise for me; they are small (green), I take medium (orange). I might end up with that style, but for now I will use the foam plugs that can be found just about anywhere and are 'one size fits all'. I also have a set of 'in ear' earphones that I might try, they work well at blocking noise when I listen to music, so they might work on a motorcycle.

ADDED: I just put in the earphones and tried my helmet on, no problem, it works. But there is that cord hanging down, and anything rubbing on the cord, or wind blowing on it, transfers right into my ears. I will stick with actual earplugs, "Use the right tool for the job" after all.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #5
alantf

I just remove my hearing aids (industrial deafness) before putting on my helmet, & hey presto - the really loud noise has gone.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
dentheman

I bought some foam earplugs, but the one in my left ear kept backing out, so I found some Winchester brand rubbery earplugs at WalMart, and they work well. They were corded and had shafts that I knew would touch the inside of my helmet, so I cut the shafts off about half length which also got rid of the cord. Then I went for a ride (I just returned).

It was not the best day for a ride. The wind was gusting to 35, but I found the earplugs to be very effective. My ears are not ringing like they were before using the plugs. The wind noise was cut significantly, but a new issue was introduced, it is that I do not hear the engine/pipes like before, so gear shifting was affected. The engine being so quiet made me sort of nervous, as if I was going for my first ride again. I'm sure I will adjust to this new sensation, but it was something I didn't expect.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #7
Rookie Rider

I always wear my earplugs especially with the half helmet. And i always have an extra pair or two under the seat. 67 tomorrow, wooo hooooooo, im riding !!
Old 03-11-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
The engine being so quiet made me sort of nervous, as if I was going for my first ride again. I'm sure I will adjust to this new sensation, but it was something I didn't expect.
Never fear. You will adjust to the new noise level and be glad your ears are protected. The engine noise is still there and you probably were expecting it to be louder. A couple more rides and the old familiar but muted GZ will rear it's head.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
The engine being so quiet made me sort of nervous, as if I was going for my first ride again. I'm sure I will adjust to this new sensation, but it was something I didn't expect.
Never fear. You will adjust to the new noise level and be glad your ears are protected. The engine noise is still there and you probably were expecting it to be louder. A couple more rides and the old familiar but muted GZ will rear it's head.
Shadow Spirit. I know I will adjust; I also noticed I was approaching turns too fast and riding too fast overall.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Oops, I should have checked on the left side of the page.