Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
mrlmd1

My new ride

Thanks guys - to all of you who had to "advance" to something bigger, not necessarily better, to instill in me that burning desire to get a bigger bike.
Here's my new ride, a pristine Suzuki 2005 S50, with flyscreen, bag supports, saddlebags, (not in the pics, I took the bags off for the 4-5 hr 70-75 mph ride home on the trailer), passenger seat and sissy bar, shaft drive,Cobra exhaust (sounds better than any Harley on the road, but I don't think ER would approve - may have to get baffles to put inside and quiet it a little, just for the neighbors. But maybe, just fuckem, but drive slow down the street.). This bike only weighs 443lbs, handles just like the GZ, and is QUICK, plus 55mpg! A little intimidating going up to a bigger, faster, bike than the GZ, but a little more practice and you get used to it for a blast of a ride.
The worst thing is, it's been raining heavily here every day for the past week and I can't get out.
Bummer.
I look at my GZ next to it and get that feeling that "what a great bike, what a great experience, I'll be sad to see you go", unless my GF wants to take the MSfF course and go riding, then of course I'll keep it forever.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #2
bonehead

Re: My new ride

Nice lookin ride!
Old 07-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Here's my new ride, a pristine Suzuki 2005 S50,
Hey, hey! DrBob will be proud of you!!
I am a little jealous......but just a little.
I think the S50 is a little too tall for me.

Congratulations !! :2tup:

It will handle a bit different than the GZ; just don't attack the twisties in Florida until you are comfortable with it. :roll:

Old 07-07-2009, 10:30 AM   #4
Sarris

I had a 1996 1400 Intruder (aka Boulevard S83). Fantastic bike.

I made mine into a chopper.

One of the best bikes I've ever owned.

Congrats.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
mrlmd1

"Hey, hey! DrBob will be proud of you!!"

I've been reading all of his posts over there.
He had 135,000 miles on one and has 75,000 miles on his latest.
Good endorsement of the bike but hard to believe anyone can put on 210,000 miles riding a motorcycle.

It's finally stopped raining and the roads are drying up - have to go out for a ride.
:rawk:

Old 07-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Sweet looking S-50. Now you get back to the learning curve again. Enjoy the bike but be careful of the extra power on tap. The roll-on power in the upper gears will give you a permanent grin.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
burkbuilds

Man, what a beautiful bike! Love the color and I think you are gonna like that shaft drive too!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #8
mrlmd1

This bike is incredible, not that the GZ 250 was bad.
It handles great, pretty much the same as the GZ but the power and acceleration are exhilarating to say the least. Very smooth, makes just the right really awesome exhaust note with the PO installed Cobra pipes, and I don't think Easy would mind.
The only storage compartment on the bike is a little lockable compartment behind the sissybar cushion, aside from the saddlebags. Funny, the compartment holding the tool kit needs a Phillips screwdriver to open it, to get to the tools.
Everything on the GZ was exposed, easy to work on, most of the things on this bike can be owner serviced but you have to remove three other things to get to stuff like air filters or carbs. But that's not often. Bought the Clymer manual to get educated. Oil changes look real easy, brake pads are REAL easy, the rest of it doesn't really need very much, just like the GZ.
I would highly recommend this bike to anyone wanting to move up and can find a used one in good condition like this one, rather than buying a new one for $7200 and all the extra stealer fees. It handles whatever speed you wish to ride at, (speedo tops out at 120 and I don't doubt this thing could approach that). accelerates even in 5th real quick, and blows around a little in the wind 'cause it only weighs 443lbs. empty, not 7-800lbs. like some of the other cruisers.
I looked at the Vulcan 500 after reading burkbuilds' posts. The Vulcan 500 weighs 472lbs, is 498cc., this is 443lbs, 805cc = big difference, but still gets 55 mpg. One post on another forum described an S50 leaving an M50 off the line as if the M50 was tied to a tree. That's not at all why I bought this bike, but as an aside, it doesn't hurt if you don't abuse it.
I also feel a lot more confident on this bike for some reason - (not overly, I'm pretty cautious riding), but the bike feels very solid, stable, reassuring, and it's nice to have that sudden burst of power and speed if you need it. Like the "vette, porsche, twin turbo mitsubishi sports cars I had in a previous life were all very safe, and handling and power on tap has a lot to do with it.
That little flyscreen windshield really keeps the air from blowing on your face and head and it's nice and cool riding in the 90+ heat down here right now, but I may put on a Plexistar 2 or Slipstreamer sport fairing windshield when it gets colder.
Otherwise, I really like this bike. Can you tell?
On of these days I may venture out on to the highway, route 10, and keep up with 75+mph traffic if I don't wet my pants.

I'll get up a couple of more pictures in a day or two, off the trailer.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 PM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Congratulations. You'll love this bike on the highway compared to the GZ.