Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 10-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #21
alantf

Re: Los Angeles, Winterization Video HD Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran

I thought your lane-splitting video did an excellent job of capturing the exhilaration and the danger of this unique-to-California riding option.
Nope ....... This is EXACTLY why I've kept the gz for the last 2½ years, & why I've got to be careful what bike I pick if I DO upgrade! At least 50% of my riding is in similar conditions on this small island, & there are no laws banning or restricting lane splitting, so the gz is the ideal bike for the conditions. Also, when I saw busy's video with the mountain right at the side of the road, it was so similar to the roads I ride on (with a BIG volcano slap bang in the middle of the island) that it was uncanny. :chop:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #22
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Alan, if you think the Strat is wide you should measure it against my Vstrom. It is really wide. Almost like a fat lady in Spandex.

After seeing your bike photo, ... um I don't think lane splitting is possible with bags attahced..!!!
The only thing foldable on the bike is the old rider. The bags are wide enough to knock over traffic cones in construction areas and annoy the cagers behind me. I have also grazed a concrete pillar with the bags in my parking area so I keep a supply of new reflective tape to replace what I scrap off. The trade off is a bigger presence on the road for cagers to see.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 PM   #23
alanmcorcoran

I got ginormous saddlebags on the Strat, but I don't think they stick out any farther than my bars/mirrors.

I always start every ride with a backwards lane split and end every ride with a forwards lane split into a rising garage door, sliding in between the two Piece of Crap cages sitting in my driveway. Good practice!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #24
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by "alanmcorcoran
I always start every ride with a backwards lane split and end every ride with a forwards lane split into a rising garage door, sliding in between the two Piece of Crap cages sitting in my driveway. Good practice!
Ha, ha ha.
Mr. Alan, that's a great practice....^^
I, first, thought that you are doing on the road...with your tank-bike.
Until I read garage door part...
Old 10-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #25
burkbuilds

Wow, if you tried that in Atlanta (it's illegal here) the cage riders would take you out in a hundred yards just out of meanness! I've seen people try to put a rider into the concrete barrier wall because they were sitting in traffic and the bike was riding by in the "pull off" lane. Now don't get me wrong, southerners are very hospitable most of the time, but Atlanta drivers are rude and short tempered in my experience.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #26
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I got ginormous saddlebags on the Strat, but I don't think they stick out any farther than my bars/mirrors.

You do that to your garage door too!!!! I keep waiting till one day when I time it wrong and take my freakin' head off with it.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #27
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Wow, if you tried that in Atlanta (it's illegal here) the cage riders would take you out in a hundred yards just out of meanness! I've seen people try to put a rider into the concrete barrier wall because they were sitting in traffic and the bike was riding by in the "pull off" lane. Now don't get me wrong, southerners are very hospitable most of the time, but Atlanta drivers are rude and short tempered in my experience.

Yea you try that crap in Little Rock (or here for that matter) and somebody would open their car door up and take you out just for spite, because you are getting through traffic faster than they are.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #28
alanmcorcoran

It's been known to happen out here too. It's easy to understand the frustration. There are few places on the planet with more cars "not going anywhere for a while" than Southern California. Add in a neon colored sport bike and a fuchsia mohawk helmet and you are literally cruising for a bruising.

They're just jealous - and with good reason!

We also get to ride in the carpool lanes, we're not subject to the seat belt laws and I've had two instances in recent weeks of parking attendants waving me through the parking garage (so I didn't have to pay!) One was at LAX. Saved me almost 20 bucks. You do have to duck around the wooden barrier arm thingie. Almost couldn't do it on the big bike.

I did discover, contrary to popular belief, we are NOT exempt from tolls on the toll roads.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #29
burkbuilds

Parking at school is a perk too. I don't have to get a "sticker" and I can pretty much park anywhere as long as I'm not blocking something or someone. If it is raining I usually drive up the sidewalks and park under the awning of one of the Mechanical buildings that just houses equipment.