Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
minieggroll

Voltage Regulator and Rear Sprocket

Hello,

So I took my GZ in for the first time to the shop and they said I needed a new voltage regulator because it was over volting my battery and a rear sprocket, bearing, drum, seal, cusion because my back wheel was missing a bearing and had a little wiggle in it.

The total cost of the 2 were $425 including labor. Should I get it done and how vital is it that I have these replaced? Will I be able to ride without getting this done?

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
JWR

Re: Voltage Regulator and Rear Sprocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll
Hello,

So I took my GZ in for the first time to the shop and they said I needed a new voltage regulator

Buy a 5 dollar meter and see for yourself.

because it was over volting my battery and a rear sprocket, bearing, drum, seal, cusion because my back wheel was missing a bearing and had a little wiggle in it.

At 6600+ miles on the bike, the back tire should have only been changed once.
These bikes have back and forth play. Not side to side.

Get a second opion!!!

The total cost of the 2 were $425 including labor. Should I get it done and how vital is it that I have these replaced? Will I be able to ride without getting this done?

Thanks!

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Did the shop remove the rear wheel to check for a missing bearing? Doubtful !! I would certainly get a $5 meter as mentioned earlier. Check the voltage yourself to be sure. As for the rear wheel parts you may need new rubber cushions in the hub but I would doubt that too. If there is a bearing missing you will have more than a little wiggle to the rear sprocket. If you road the bike to the shop the 2 axle bearings are in place. If they are refering to the rear carrier bearing the rear sprocket would be very very loose and I can't imagine the bike would even be rideable.
You do need a second opinion before handing over such a large amount of $ for some perceived repairs if there was no teardown inspection performed.
Did the shop give you a price breakdown of parts and labor? Like to see it if possible. I have a suspicion it may be a lot of B.S.
Oh yeah, before I forget. There is no real voltage regulator. The bike has a stator and rectifier. Alantf is our resident electrician and will explain it far better than I can. He will be along shortly. Have patience as he is in a far away time zone.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:03 AM   #4
alantf

Hi there.

I've just gone through the schematic, and there does seem to be a regulator of sorts. However.........Going to the troubleshooting section, Suzuki give three possible causes of overcharging. The one that jumps out of the page, and seems most likely, is the faulty battery. Get a cheapo meter and check for yourself what the charging voltage is. If it's too high, then take the battery to a battery depot and get it checked out before you allow the bike shop to do all that work. [attachment=0:1zniitoe]img036.jpg[/attachment:1zniitoe]
Old 02-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
alantf

[attachment=0:lzgnvygu]img042.jpg[/attachment:lzgnvygu]

I've tried to simplify the voltage regulator circuit. The black shows the 3 phase alternator, and how it connects to the battery, via the rectifier set up, which changes it to single phase d.c.

The grey shows the voltage regulator which is connected across the battery. When it detects over voltage/current it sends a signal to the gates of the silicon control rectifiers. This opens (proportionately) the circuits throught these rectifiers to the -ve side of the battery, thus "bleeding off" the excess voltage.

I know this isn't a real technological explanation, but it's the only way I can try to get the basics across.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
minieggroll

They said that my bushing was worn out which is why I need all that work done on the back tire. The bike only has 5706 miles on it and is a 2007. I will scan a copy of the breakdown of prices to see if it's in line with what they should actually cost in a couple hours at work.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
minieggroll

Here is a copy of the parts/labor for the work order they suggested.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
JWR

I will defer to blaine on this one. :??:

I am not there, but something must have happened when the original tire was replaced.

Do you how long ago that was, and who did the work?

I don't think you will anyone else that has ever had the problems that you are having. :??:

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."
Old 02-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Yikes !!. I don't know what to say. I am wondering if the previous owner had the rear wheel off and reassembled things the wrong way. I know it is possible to put in a spacer the wrong way and do bearing damage. BTDT. Once by me and once by the tech who fixed my damage. LOL.
As previously said, get a second opinion or go with the estimate if you are comfy with it. You do need to have a safe reliable bike in any case.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
alantf

Before spending $200 on the voltage regulator, have you had the battery checked? :??: