Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 06-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Jonesey

Windshield Positioning Tricks?

Hello, I'm new to the Gz board and to bikes in general. I just bought a GZ with Windshield and could use some help. Is there a trick to positioning the windshield? Most of my daily commute is highway riding at 60 to 70 MPH and the wind seems to be hitting me directly in the face. Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Windshield Positioning Tricks?

Some of it is going to depend on the windshield. Briefly:

1) Unless you have a really huge windshield, you are going to get some wind.
2) It shouldn't hit you directly in the face though. (mine tends to buffet a bit above and behind the helmet.)
3) there's three main things to look at: too high (wind coming underneath, hitting hands or chest), too low, (wind hitting your face) bad "rake" (angle is too severe or not severe enough).
4) one last thing is some can be mounted further "out front" or closer in. Hard to say which is better - I think the big ones can go out front more and the smaller sometimes do better closer in.

The best thing to do is to note where the wind is hitting you and where it is coming from, and see if you can move the windshield so that gap is lessened. (I know, "Thank you, Doctor Obvious!") Trust me, I have screwed with mine plenty and I could still go a few more rounds with it if I was riding it more often.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
tommygun

Depends on the size. I have the "spitfire" windshield and it is small. I have a similar problem when I ride with my open face helmet but my full face is just right for the shield.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-27-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesey
Hello, I'm new to the Gz board and to bikes in general. I just bought a GZ with Windshield and could use some help. Is there a trick to positioning the windshield? Most of my daily commute is highway riding at 60 to 70 MPH and the wind seems to be hitting me directly in the face. Any info will be greatly appreciated!
In order to know where to GO, we first need to know where the STARTING point is.
How tall and wide is the shield?
Some pictures would help a LOT.
There are several threads on here about that already, including a couple of models the we like.
A search might yield you some ideas.