Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 08-16-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
GZ250

Engine oil level goes down

1- Between every oil change that I do religiously every 3000miles, I have to add extra engine oil after ever 800-1000 miles. I keep checking the oil level and whenever its low I add something direct from the bottle. I exactly do not know how many ozs I add but I do need to add oil. (all standard procedures taken, holding straight, level ground etc etc).

The bike is running ok. No leaks, No fumes. I showed to the dealership when it was new with less miles and he told me two things. These bikes do consume some oil and it will reduce after I out some more miles on it but it never happened.

Just want to know is this normal with GZs or something is wrong.

2- Second issue. My high beam fuse blows off after every 5 months. I normal keep it on high beam to save the low beam. Is this also normal. This does not hurt as I replace the fuse.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I only use my high beam when I need it. This may be why your high beam keeps burning up.

As far as oil goes, just remember that all engine will find some way to consume small amounts of oil. It get burned up in the oil blow-by. It may leak ever so slightly. It may just be caught up somewhere else in the engine and not get down into the sump. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are blowing blue smoke or you see lots of little drips under your bike.

Take care,
Jonathan
Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: Engine oil level goes down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ250
The bike is running ok. No leaks, No fumes. I showed to the dealership when it was new with less miles and he told me two things. These bikes do consume some oil and it will reduce after I out some more miles on it but it never happened.

2- Second issue. My high beam fuse blows off after every 5 months. I normal keep it on high beam to save the low beam. Is this also normal. This does not hurt as I replace the fuse.
What year bike? How many miles?
What's your riding style, granny or racer?

How many times before the next change do you add oil? If that one time is the ONLY time, then it is probably mostly due to "air" in the system, mostly the filter, working it's way out.
It is not unusual (on most bikes) to need to top it up once after each change.

Hi-beam:
Do you really mean fuse or is it the BULB that blows?
If it is the bulb, no problem.
If it really is a fuse, then I'd worry a bit. The connector inside the headlight can cause a problem as can a pinched wire rubbing the frame.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Badbob

Quote:
Look for a break or cut in the insulation of the wire going to the headlight particularly where it flexes. I'd start in the head light. If you haven't looked in there be fore get ready for a big surprise. Lots of wiring. Study it carefully before you remove it or you will have a hell of a time getting your head light back on.

I had an ignition system failure that I traces to a tiny nick in a wire in the headlight. It was intermittent for a long time before it finally quit completely. I took me weeks to find it.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Brian Donofrio

The sight glass is tricky. I'm always adding oil, only burn it off right after I start the motor. I'm definitely going to put my breather tube aiming down instead of threw the air box. It seems like the oil just get pumped into the air box and out the tailpipe. Carbonizing my piston cylinder. I always measure out the oil after a change and add the prescribed amount no filter/ w filter/ total engine rebuild etc.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #6
music man

Wait a minute, you are gonna pull your breather tube and point it down at the ground. O.K. oil pouring onto the ground in front of your back tire sounds like a good idea because??
Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 PM   #7
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
oil pouring onto the ground in front of your back tire sounds like a good idea because??

......BURNOUTS

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 10-06-2008, 03:20 PM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Donofrio
The sight glass is tricky. I'm always adding oil, only burn it off right after I start the motor.
This doesn't sound good. If it is as bad as you make it out to be, you might be on the verge of a total engine failure......or it could just mean you are keeping the oil too high. I have NEVER had to put in the "recommended" amount of oil at a change to get it to the proper level.

And I agree, pointing the breather hose down in front of the back tire is a ***BAD*** idea. :skull:

There is definitely something wrong with this picture.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #9
GZ250

Sir

I got my answer from your last reply that it could be the "air in the system" or just this bike needs some oil because otherwise it is running smooth averaging 67mpg (i can never get better than this). riding style is in the middle. never too hard but occassionally drive at 60-65mph (normally around 55mph). start smooth from a stop signal. ride every day to work (50 miles - both ways). in between oil changes 1 add twice about 1-1.5 ml

year: august 2005 (black) bought new.
miles 17900
Old 10-07-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
in between oil changes 1 add twice about 1-1.5 ml
OK, I am somewhat embarassed !

Apparently there are two of you that are loosing some oil.
Although I can't help but question how you think you know that it is down 1-1.5 ml.
The site glass would vary that much if there was a fly sitting on the left handle bar! :biggrin:

If you are changing oil every 3000 miles, I certainly don't think the loss of 3 ml. over 3000 miles to be anything unusual........or that needs replenishing either.