Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
eclynn1

Another charging system problem

I have'nt been around for a while, but my grandsons bike has a charging problem and I'm not sure
where to start. The battery is dead and will not take a charge. The previous went through similar
problems. Would'nt hold a charge so we figured it was the battery and replaced it. Now the new
battery is doing the same thing. I think the battery has been cooked, I checked the water in it
today and it was almost completely dry.
The bike is a 2000 model GZ-250 with about 6000 miles on it. I've checked all the fuses I can find
and all checked good. How do I check the leads from the stator and the rectifier or voltage regulator? I have a VOM and test light, but not sure what reading I should be getting on the VOM.
Also, I'm assuming the bike should be running to check the stator output.
Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Another charging system problem

Alantf will be by later to instill some knowledge. Our resident electrician is pretty smart. Not to disregard or insult others on the forum but Alantf is probably our best.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:48 AM   #3
alantf

I answered your question on your other post. (You don't need to put it on several posts ) To reiterate - download the manuals from this site. They'll tell you Exactly how to test the charging system. If you still can't figure it out, come back to us (in this post) & we'll take you step by step. BTW, it appears (though not 100% certain yet) that the problem MAY be the voltage regulator. The alternator puts out 3 phase ac, which is changed to single phase dc (by rectifiers) and this is kept within voltage limits by the regulator. The manuals show you where the components are, how to test them, and what the results of healthy components should be.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
alantf

Been thinking some more about this, and a couple of things spring to mind.

Firstly, if you have to get a new battery, get a sealed type, not one that you can open up. Then, before installing, charge it overnight. Suzuki recommend 0.75 amps, but certainly no more than 2 amps.

Secondly, carry out this test. First - Get the bike running, then set your meter to dc volts. With the bike idling, put your meter across the battery terminals, and record the voltage. Then, with the bike reving at 4000 to 5000 RPM repeat the test, and let us know both results. The second test, if everything's ok, should be around 13.8 volts or slightly higher.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
mrlmd1

Like alantf said, any new battery, and it is most likely an AGM for these bikes, needs to be fully charged first before first use or it will never hold a full charge and you will be replacing it weekly. Do not rely on the guy in the battery store telling you when you get the new one that it is all set to go. YOU must charge it up first, it's even in the directions that come with the battery,

Old 11-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #6
eclynn1

Okay, I checked the battery voltage before starting the bike, started and reved the bike up and had no change in voltage. Next I checked the 3 yellow wires from the stator and had good voltage
readings on all three leads. Plugged it back to the regulator and checked from the regulator. That seems to be the problem, little or no power from the regulator.
I used a good 12v battery with a good charge to start the bike and run it while doing the checks. I do have a good battery tender for getting a new battery up to a full charge. I have a new regulator
ordered and will be heading out to get a new battery soon.
Thanks for all the advice and help, it is appreciated.
Thanks to all the Veterans for your service, and have a Happy Veterans Day. :2tup:
Old 11-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
alantf

Glad you've found the problem. Keep us posted when you get it up & running.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM   #8
eclynn

Okay, replaced the battery and regulator. She's up and running like a top. The charging system seems to be working great, I've ran it quiet a bit and the battery is staying up good and strong. I checked voltage on the battery after it was fully charged with the battery tender, and checked it again later after running the bike a while with the engine running. The system was charging just under 14v. I tried to drain the battery a little to make sure the regulator would need to be charging instead of starting a test with a fully charged battery. Everything seems to be working great. Thanks for all the advice and the on line manual, it made the job very easy.