Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-09-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
ArizonaKev

Melted cr@p on the exhaust pipe

I'm not quite sure how it happened - I am almost certain I didn't do it myself - but I noticed that on my exhaust pipe, there appears to be some melted crud, almost looks like shoe rubber - like someone put a shoe on it when it was still smoking hot.

I waited 'til the pipe cooled off, and attempted to rub it off, and it is cooked on there GOOD. I found a suggestion online for how to clean it, thought I would post it, and ask for opinions/rebuttals/ideas. Let me know what you think of this :

"After the exhaust pipes (motorcycle) are cool to the touch, soak the crud with a petroleum based product over night or longer. (Use an old cotton sock or similar - non-dyed - rag). I have tried: SAE 20 weight oil, WD-40, carburator cleaner, gasoline, and fuel oil. A few other solvents and cleaners have limited success: acetone, paint thinner, mineral spirits, wood alcohol, chrome cleaner, and rubbing compound." (from http://www.gmasw.com/bikecln_.htm)

So I was thinking about doing what was suggested - getting an old sock or towel or something, soaking it with WD-40, letting that rest on the pipe over night, and seeing if I could get it off. Anyone got a better (yet still cheap) suggestion?

As always, all answers appreciated. Thanks all :2tup:

AZ Kev

Login or Register to Remove Ads