Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 04-03-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
mrlmd1

Re: OW! My aching back!

I've been involved in medicine for 35 years and never heard of that one. I don't know where you got that from. Dehydration does not cause "kidney pain" and drinking more fluids does not relieve that either.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #22
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
I've been involved in medicine for 35 years and never heard of that one. I don't know where you got that from. Dehydration does not cause "kidney pain" and drinking more fluids does not relieve that either.
That's what I was brought up to believe. If there is lower back side pain you needed to drink more water. It seems to have worked for me over the years. But then it could be stones, and drinking more helped them pass. All I know is after drinking numerous 16 oz. glasses of water each day, the pain has dissipated.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #23
mrlmd1

A kidney stone is a SEVERE cramping, stabbing pain, not a lower back ache. You would know it if you had a kidney stone, and you would certainly be aware of passing one. It's unlikely that drinking water will make a stone pass, while it may increase the pain in the ureter and kidney behind it.
You were brought up to believe wrong, passing on some sort of myth or legend to modify your behavior.
How old are you now? The type of pain/discomfort you are describing is more likely related to an orthopedic problem - osteoarthritis, spondylolisthesis, degenerative bone changes in the vertebrae (spine) with age, plus more back and abdominal muscle strengthening excersizes needed and a change in body position.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:52 AM   #24
Water Warrior 2

Dang it Doc. You've been talking to my Doc again. Sounds like my conditions.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #25
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
A kidney stone is a SEVERE cramping, stabbing pain, not a lower back ache. You would know it if you had a kidney stone, and you would certainly be aware of passing one. It's unlikely that drinking water will make a stone pass, while it may increase the pain in the ureter and kidney behind it.
You were brought up to believe wrong, passing on some sort of myth or legend to modify your behavior.
How old are you now? The type of pain/discomfort you are describing is more likely related to an orthopedic problem - osteoarthritis, spondylolyithesis, degenerative bone changes in the vertebrae (spine) with age, plus more back and abdominal muscle strengthening excersizes needed and a change in body position.
The pain was so severe that I thought I couldn't get out of bed some mornings. Then again this pain showed up after I bought my bike, and I do have to push it through the gate to get it into my yard (the gate is too narrow, so I have to get one handgrip through at at a time). And the bike is 500+ lbs. You're the doc, I'm not.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #26
mrlmd1

It's musculoskeletal -like a sprain. It'll go away (eventually) - sooner rather than later hopefully. Keep moving.