Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #111
mrlmd1

Re: Not the speed I expected.

Now, why did it have 2 fouled plugs? Did they look into that or will you be back there in another 50-100 miles with the same thing? Did they adjust your carb or do anything else to the bike other than just replace 2 sparkplugs?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #112
dentheman

They are trained technicians so should know what causes fouled plugs, and fixed the problem if there was one. If it happens again, I will take it back, and complain to the manager.

I suspect the plugs were fouled by improper mixture caused by a dirty carb until the Seafoam cleaned the carb, because it backfired like hell and barely ran at all when I first started it, until some Seabfoam was run through it.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #113
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
They are trained technicians so should know what causes fouled plugs, and fixed the problem if there was one. If it happens again, I will take it back, and complain to the manager.

I suspect the plugs were fouled by poor mixture until the Seabreeze cleaned the carb, because it backfired like hell and barely ran at all until some Seabreeze was run through it.
*SeaFoam* :poke2:

It is common for the plugs to foul if the carbs are dirty & the combustion chambers are full of carbon.
:cool:

Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #114
dentheman

Why am I thinking of Seabreeze? Aren't those dryer sheets or something like that? I will edit.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #115
mrlmd1

There are basically 3 types of fouling - fuel, oil, or carbon.

FAQs - Spark Plugs

Q: What is a "fouled" spark plug?

A: A spark plug is considered fouled when the insulator nose at the firing tip becomes coated with a foreign substance such as fuel, oil or carbon. This coating makes it easier for the voltage to follow along the insulator nose, leach back down into the metal shell and ground out rather than bridging the gap and firing normally.

Many factors can contribute to spark plug fouling. The air/fuel ratio may be too rich as a result of incorrect carburetor adjustment or a poorly performing fuel injection system. Worn piston rings or valve seals may allow too much oil to leak into the combustion chamber, leading to oil fouling. The ignition system may not be performing properly. Prolonged idling or continuous low-speed driving may keep the spark plug from reaching its optimum operating temperature. Using too cold a spark plug can lead to the same problem. Finally, a dirty air cleaner can create a too-rich condition which can lead to fouling.

Fuel, oil and carbon fouling can all be the result of different causes but, once a spark plug is fouled, it will not provide adequate voltage to the firing tip and that cylinder will not fire properly. In many cases, the spark plug cannot be cleaned sufficiently to restore normal operation. Therefore, it is recommended that a plug be replaced once it is fouled.

And read this: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/plugs.html

If the carb was dirty, like with jets clogged, it wouldn't run "rich", but maybe the needle valve wasn't completely closing making it run that way, and fortunately with the engine shut off and no vacuum on the petcock, you weren't dripping gas on the garage floor and flooding the airbox too.
Hopefully the Seafoam cured your problem and it wasn't oil fouling from rings or valve seals leaking oil.
Time will tell, hope it's OK now. Add a little Berryman's or Seafoam (1 oz/gal of fuel) to the tank every three fillups and you will not have this issue again. Ride the bike more and you will avoid the problem - dirty carbs are from what's called atrophy of disuse (medical profession term).

Old 03-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #116
dentheman

I have taken her on a couple 50+ mile rides at highway speeds (65 seems to be the speed she likes), as well as riding around the neighborhood to get more practice. So far she runs like a dream. I was surprised to find that in 5th gear doing about 50 she will accelerate nicely going up steep overpasses.

I am already looking at the new ones with fuel injection, but common sense tells me to hang on to this one, at least for a year.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #117
blaine

Quote:
I have taken her on a couple 50+ mile rides at highway speeds (65 seems to be the speed she likes), as well as riding around the neighborhood to get more practice. So far she runs like a dream. I was surprised to find that in 5th gear doing about 50 she will accelerate nicely going up steep overpasses.
Good to know you got it all sorted out.Enjoy!!!! :2tup:

Old 03-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #118
Water Warrior 2

Quote:

I am already looking at the new ones with fuel injection, but common sense tells me to hang on to this one, at least for a year.
Hang on to this one for at least a couple years. It's not old by any stretch of the imagination and will serve you well. Gain more experience and hone your skills with the bike. Bigger and/or newer is not always the best way to go. A 750 is a nice comfy size with enough power and reasonable handling to take you almost anywhere on the planet. Take your time.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #119
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:

Hang on to this one for at least a couple years. It's not old by any stretch of the imagination and will serve you well. Gain more experience and hone your skills with the bike. Bigger and/or newer is not always the best way to go. A 750 is a nice comfy size with enough power and reasonable handling to take you almost anywhere on the planet. Take your time.
You are right, and my common sense is saying the same thing, but the 2012 Shadow RS sure is inviting. I don't 'REALLY' plan on getting another motorcycle anytime soon, but I can dream, can't I?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:09 PM   #120
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Quote:

You are right, and my common sense is saying the same thing, but the 2012 Shadow RS sure is inviting. I don't 'REALLY' plan on getting another motorcycle anytime soon, but I can dream, can't I?
Maybe try a test ride this spring if you can. I'm sure you will think a new bike is great. Then take a real hard look at the price tag. Been there done that and now I just dream of riding an older bike with no payments.