Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-28-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
bpdchief

Center stand - GN250

Just bought a centerstand off a 1988 GN250. I'll post "how to" mounting pictures and this should answer the question of "can I put a centerstand on my GZ250". My wife is going to kill me if I don't stop buying things for this bike :whistle:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Center stand - GN250

Looking forward to this. So far all searches for a GZ centerstand has been a no-go. There was some mention of a GN stand but never any actual results. Sure would make chain lubing a lot easier. Have at er.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
bpdchief

From what I read, they used the same frame since 1982 and carried it over to use on the GZ. Waiting for it to arrive, but, what I can see is that on the GZ there are two frame connecting bolts under the swing arm - when a centerstand was offered the pivot tube was the spacer and one long bolt was used... we'll see if that theory pans out very soon. Stay tuned for News and Film at 11. Always heard that on the news teasers when I was a kid.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh my how times have changed since you and I were kids. Instant gratification is the theme and I want mine now or I'll hold my breath till I turn blue................Hmm, there's a flaw there somewhere. Carry on.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
bpdchief

Doing more studying on this project... 1988 GN250 had a ground clearance of 6.3 inches compared to the 2007 GZ250's 4.9 inches. That tells me a little more lift and more rear tire clearance for chain oiling and other rear maintenance

The new TU250 is more based on the GN250 with its straight seat and 60's street bike appearance rather than the cruiser look of the GZ250.

My sister said I used to get mad and hold my breath til I passed out, but, I can't remember and she was always just a little anyhow.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpdchief
Doing more studying on this project... 1988 GN250 had a ground clearance of 6.3 inches compared to the 2007 GZ250's 4.9 inches. That tells me a little more lift and more rear tire clearance for chain oiling and other rear maintenance

The new TU250 is more based on the GN250 with its straight seat and 60's street bike appearance rather than the cruiser look of the GZ250.

My sister said I used to get mad and hold my breath til I passed out, but, I can't remember and she was always just a little anyhow.
With less ground clearance the GZ will require a little more muscle to put it up on a center stand. Once you develop a routine it will be no problem. You may want to consider a handle of some sort near the left side of the seat so you can lift safely(right hand) while putting your weight(right foot)down on the centerstand foot tang thingy. The left hand is usually used to steady the bike holding the left grip. Until you are comfy you can always park it in gear so when you drop it down off the stand it will not try to roll away. Don't laugh, I've seen it happen.
When I had rear lowering links on the Vstrom it was a fair lift to get it up. I soon learned not to try for the centerstand with a full tank and all the luggage packed for travelling.
Old 09-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
bpdchief

Granted it was made for it, but, I always used the centerstand on my GS1000E when packed for traveling (remember it was fully dressed like a H-D Roadking). It was a beast to get lifted that 1 inch... pushing down on the stand, lifting up one the grab bar and pulling the bike backwards to rock it up onto the stand. Of course, there is a difference between 900 lbs fully loaded big bike and 330 lbs little bike. It will be an interesting learning event.

The GN250 got its additional clearance from a 3.00-18 front tire and 4.60-16 rear compared to the 110-16 front and 130-15 rear in the GZ. I'd sure like to find a set of those GN cast wheels and try them out... as sharp looking as the fella on here with the chinese cast wheels on his GZ
Old 09-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Oops, my bad memory. I had forgotten you had the big Suzuki years ago. Oh well, hopefully my comment wil help some one who has no experience. :lol: :lol:
Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

This is exciting...

There have been a couple of other projects using cross-over pieces in the past that didn't pan out.
Even if this is a little more involved, I hope you can nail it.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
northsidegz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Oops, my bad memory. I had forgotten you had the big Suzuki years ago. Oh well, hopefully my comment wil help some one who has no experience. :lol: :lol:
LOL. I think it will.

For what it's worth, it was a lot of work to get my 82 GS450 up on the center stand. It had been bobbed and lowered (frame cut and rewelded). The centerstand was shortened a bit, but not enough to make it easy. You either 1) really had to muscle that sucker with your upper body, or 2) try to leverage it back and forth, but in doing so almost always rack your shin on the footpeg once it got up on the centerstand. I often opted for #2 because I was face-beat-red dead tired after doing #1 a few times.

When I sold it, I warned potential buyers that they may want to plan to spend some money to get a kickstand installed. Most of them looked at me like it was not a big deal until they actually tried to put the bike up on the centerstand. After which they looked at me like, "Holy crap that's hard."