Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 08-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
El Diablo

I think I will eventually get a bigger bike for two up "Bike Nites" and some weekend travel. But I'll always have the GZ for commuting to work - can't beat the gas mileage and for running errands. Like someone else said, it's easy to walk out the door and jump on the GZ and go.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonton
I think the biggest part of the GZ250 I outgrew was the braking.
You definitely need a bike you feel comfortable with.

The FEEL of the GZ brakes is definitely different than some bigger bikes with more substantial brakes but there is a reason for that and it doesn't necessarily mean the brakes are defecient somehow.

The GZ is light. You don't need brakes to stop an 800 pound bike plus load.
The GZ won't go over 80.....except maybe downhill with a tail wind....so you don't need brakes that will stop you from 120 mph.

The GZ brakes feel soft but all the really means is that they require more effort to accomplish the same thing. Sometimes NOT having grabby brakes is actually better. I KNOW you can lock the rear wheel on asphalt because I've done it. I don't know about locking the front (and don't want to find out) but I know it will slow down right quick if you squeeze hard enough.

My daughter has a Honda Civic. For a small car, it has really good brakes. On rare occasion, she drives my car. She absolutely HATES it because of the different feel of the brakes. The pedal feels soft compared to what she is used to. I have no doubt, however, that my brakes are at least as good as hers because I've had occasion to test them a few times !!!

Point IS that riders in general really don't need to worry about the brakes on the GZ because they are more than adequate. Most can get used to the different feel; some can't. Different strokes and all that !!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:35 PM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

New pads, new fluid and stainless steel lines will make them "feel" grabbier, if that's what you're after. I'm sure performance is improved a bit too.

I pretty much agree with Easy.

Old 08-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #14
bigwonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwonton
I think the biggest part of the GZ250 I outgrew was the braking.
Different strokes and all that !!

Yup, that's what it comes down to in the end. My other reason for selling the GZ250 is that my soon-to-be wife has expressed an interest in coming along on rides and the GZ250 simply won't cut it for the two of us to ride comfortably. The SV650 will be "my" bike and I hope to get a bigger cruiser for the both of us to enjoy. If only I had a 4 car garage to keep different motorcycles for each occasion...
Old 08-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #15
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
I don't know about locking the front (and don't want to find out)
I found out last week when I was on the left lane of two lanes (going to the left turn lanes ahead), and a big black cadillac pulled up from the right, I though he had seen me, but he pulled out onto the roadway anyway, it looked like he was going to make a left and we were on collision course, so I braked. The front locked and the front wheel slid to the left and I let go of the the front brake, and the bike stabilized again ! I thought it would be a fall, what a great bike! The car meanwhile made a right turn onto the right lane anyway, so no collision after all. I did make a gesture intenting to mean "!#&*@ idiot!" when passing him. He was some diplomat from Africa, according to his car tag.

The main road has two lanes there, and cars from the right often make a right turn when the main road traffic is in the left lane only (towards the left turn lanes, ahead). Then, they move to the left lane to make a left turn. Mostly, they go 20-30, and I go 50 mph. In the car it's no big problem (air bags, seat belt, crumple zone) but on a bike it is scary. I also had another one do it this week, but now I was prepared and gave him a couple good long honks. He honked back, so I gave him a friendly wave in passing - thanks for noticing me !

So, when you lock the front, let go quick and the bike will straighten again.

Edit: oops, completely off topic ! Out growing the GZ ? I though I would in half a year or so but now after almost a year I have way not outgrown it. It is big enough for my commute, max. legal speed is 50, and no highway. Most other bikers just wave, every now and then there is one that seems to look a litle snobbish at me, from his expensive racer or Harley, whatever, bottom line is we all move in the same traffic at the same speed, so what. One day, I had a racer (wearing shorts and flip flops) speed away from me three times, and every time at the next traffic light I was in the lane right next to him again...

Old 08-18-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
john1096

As a newbie, I have been a bit worried about all the "you'll outgrow that bike in a year" hype. I've also been told, "That's a girls bike, the salesman I talked to refused to even talk to me about one." That last quote was from a guy who has ridden his twice. Once a parking lot, where he dropped it, and once trying to get it from the trailer to his garage, where he lost control and hit a mailbox and ended up in the hospital for a while and missed several weeks of work. It still sits in his garage, not being ridden at all, but he sure is proud to be a biker! All I can say is, that salesman saw him coming a mile away. How do you even respond to that?

I have less than two hundred of my own miles on mine (only been riding a week), but I don't see how you could ever think this is not enough bike. It will do anything you can get away with legally in traffic, and then some. Like they say, "It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow." Fighting the buffeting and wind that starts to get noticeable at around 50 is a blast. The only thing it lacks is top end for the rural high speed highways.

I did get blown away by a woman on her SCOOTER on the highway the other day. That was a little bit of a blow to my ego. I think I'm secure enough in my manhood to handle it.

MPG, MPG, MPG. Notice how many Harleys and big metrics are on Craigslist lately? We have sensible commuter bikes, they have expensive luxury items.

Unfortunately, most riders I know have the mentality mentioned above. If you don't have a liter or more, you're some kind of pansy. The same applies to riding gear, except less is better (more than shorts and a tee shirt is just stupid).
Old 08-18-2008, 06:39 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1096
How do you even respond to that?
I tend to be rather ....mmmm....blunt and would probably tell him what a dumb a** I think he is.
But that tends to get me into trouble occasionally too. :blush:

It is all pretty much about wretched excess and, in this country at least, people tend to get what they WANT (whatever the reason) and not what they NEED.

If you REALLY can afford it, none of my business, but recent history tends to indicate that most people can NOT afford the fancy toys they have.......but then they want ME (taxpayers) to bail them out when their "luck" runs out.......and pay for their health care.......and take care of them when they get old. This is getting too close to a political comment, and against the party I recently lean towards at that, so I'd better shut up but some things are just plain WRONG.

Buying big, fancy things that you can never hope to pay for is just a symptom of a much bigger disease.

:oops: Sorry for the tirade. Sometimes I just can't resist.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1096

Unfortunately, most riders I know have the mentality mentioned above. If you don't have a liter or more, you're some kind of pansy. The same applies to riding gear, except less is better (more than shorts and a tee shirt is just stupid).
The guys I think are pansies are the snobbish big bike guys who stop riding as soon as the weather turns "sour" or it gets little cold. They're the "posers".
You don't have to explain you manhood to anyone when you show up to work or school after a 30 minute ride in the freezing rain and go about your business without a second thought. Don't expect any recognition for it. Just do it and mind your business.

Don't worry about anyone else. You ride your bike and you ride it how you want to, legally of course, and the biker "scene" can kiss your toozer. They are the ones who are misquided.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
You don't have to explain you manhood to anyone when you show up to work or school after a 30 minute ride in the freezing rain ............
Some might have a question or two about your sanity though!! :??: :lol:
Old 08-21-2008, 12:25 AM   #20
john1096

My sanity they can question (and many often do).

I haven't had the privilege of riding in the rain, yet. I plan to, I just can't get my work clothes sopping wet and I'm not sure even if I got saddlebags I could keep everything wrinkle free if I toted my work clothes. I probably won't ride TO work in the rain, but I've taken my chances when rain was forecast for my afternoon trip, I've just been lucky so far.

I'm looking forward to cooler weather. Some have already complained about 65 degree mornings, but I'm well within the comfortable range with just my mesh jacket and gloves at that temp. I'm looking forward to getting a ski or snowmobile suit and some good gloves for those morning rides this fall (and maybe winter?).

Riding when no one else will (but still within my limits) will be my silent revenge.