Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 AM   #11
Badbob

I highly recommend the Sargent's Custom Seats. See some photos and discussion here: http://www.gz250bike.com/viewtopic.php?t=111

I had my rear seat done because its a lot cheaper to have them done together than separate.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-21-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
ll666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Sounds like you're good to go on the GZ250. At 5'9" and only a "Little Bit" on the back for short trips you should be fine and fairly comfortable. She should learn how to be a safe riding partner/passenger. There are wrong things to do as a passenger that are not safe.

My "Little Bit" (5'3") rides her own GZ250 so I don't have to worry about 2-up. For that matter she refuses to ride on the back of anyones bike (including mine) nor will she allow anyone to ride on the back of hers (including me). Not real trusting that anyone will handle the bike well or know how to be a passenger.

Be safe
Well the plan is (she doesn't know yet) is that I am going to slowly try and teach her how to ride a motorcyle with me.... Gain her enough courage to get her into the riders course at least. Then when I move up to a new bike, she will take over the GZ250 and ride with me
Well, unless I get tooooo attached to it...lol

Always been a dream to get my girlfriend to ride along side me.

Still on the hunt for one though, looks like not too many around here selling them. Actually haven't even found one yet
Might post a thread so people around me can contact me if they are selling.

@Badbob
I will take a look at that seat... Thanks!
First need to find myself a bike though :tongue:
Old 01-21-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Bill

ll666,

I don't think I ever extended a welcome from my part of the country soooo... Welcome from the sunny northeast coast of Florida.

I'm surprised that you are having a hard time locating a GZ250. They are really popular with an excellent reputation. Around here they are the motorcycle of choice for the safety courses. That makes them particularly good if your girlfriend takes the course and feels comfortable on the bike she learned on. That's how it was for my wife when she took the course. She didn't have to sit but one time on a Honda Rebel and the choice was easy. Hope you have the same luck where you are.

By the way I didn't see where you have posted to introduce yourself but maybe it just escaped me. Where are you located?

Oh wait, I just read your first post again. Are you keeping warm in "Stampede" country? I've been through Calgary a few times on my way to Lake Louise for some downhill skiing. What a great part of the country.

Cheers!

Old 01-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
ll666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
ll666,

I don't think I ever extended a welcome from my part of the country soooo... Welcome from the sunny northeast coast of Florida.

I'm surprised that you are having a hard time locating a GZ250. They are really popular with an excellent reputation. Around here they are the motorcycle of choice for the safety courses. That makes them particularly good if your girlfriend takes the course and feels comfortable on the bike she learned on. That's how it was for my wife when she took the course. She didn't have to sit but one time on a Honda Rebel and the choice was easy. Hope you have the same luck where you are.

By the way I didn't see where you have posted to introduce yourself but maybe it just escaped me. Where are you located?

Oh wait, I just read your first post again. Are you keeping warm in "Stampede" country? I've been through Calgary a few times on my way to Lake Louise for some downhill skiing. What a great part of the country.

Cheers!
Thank you ... Actually I never did post a formal introduction here, probably should have :blush:
Quite cold here still with a bunch of snow, so have some time to hunt for my bike. Actually, you said the exact reason why I can't find one, they are just too good...lol. I guess people keep passing them on, from first rider to wife, from wife to child...etc. They are great to learn on, and the training courses often also buy them up. Not to mention that people tend to get attached to their first great bike.

Also the dealers here in Calgary dont even carry them new, which I thought was very odd. I went to every dealer here looking at new bikes and not one had the GZ250. Maybe because they have a lot of higher speed freeways here, and dont really recommend the bike, not sure.... Could just be too low of a commission for the stealership to sell them. I did ask, and they said they could always order them in :roll:

Back in Edmonton, where I am from, they all carried the GZ250.... Not sure what the real difference is, but I can always drive back to edmonton if I find a used one there at least.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
Bill

ll666,
My wife and I just got in from a ride with the SCRC today. It was her second ride with them and a little more relaxed than last week. She rode her GZ250 and they both did real well. Although it was a little windy the temperature was perfect. I was surprised at how well she could keep her position with the "big dogs". We rode about 70 miles at about 60-65 mph most of the time - comfortable. I figure she was getting about 72 mpg (you'll have to calculate for kilometers).

You're probably right about the commision on the less expensive bikes. They stock them here in the local dealer but they wouldn't budge on the price. We found one on Eb*y that was located about 150 miles away so we sent emails and decided to take the chance. It worked out well. It was a 2006 and it just got its first service before we picked it up. Saved about $700-$900 from what the dealer wanted after tax, tags, etc. Deals are out there. Keep looking. Both Edmonton and Calgary are pretty big places.

Cheers!

Old 01-21-2007, 08:54 PM   #16
ll666

I will keep an eye out for sure. I have never seen anything on ebay for canadians much, seems like most of the stuff is from the states. On ebay.ca there is probably only like 100 bikes altogether for sale within canada, so not a good search route for me at least.

I will just keep searching the bargain finders, and anything else I can.
I love that bike so much (look wise at least) that I already have some customizing plans for it to make it my own. Just need to get one to see how well it rides around here...lol
Old 01-22-2007, 11:20 PM   #17
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Yes. I have ridden with a passenger.

The bike functioned wonderfully. I didn't notice any power loss. Of course, I ride with a 5'0 100lbs. lady and my suspension loaded to the 5th setting.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:31 AM   #18
Water Warrior 2

ll666, good luck with the search for a 250. We lucked out by accident when searching for a used beginner bike for Lynda in the Fall. Found an 06 on consignment at a dealer with only 385 KMs on it. Hadn't planned on an almost new bike but when factoring in the cost and initial repairs/maintenance on a well used bike with no known history we went for it. After logging 9500 KMs on a much bigger VStrom my initial test drive was a little disappointing but it seemed to be a good learning bike. Picked it up the next day and road it home 140 KMs. No more disappointment believe me. This little bike runs like a champ and I only hope Lynda lets me ride it more. It handled my 200 pounds quite well even when pulling a couple longer hills going home. After we take the riding course and Lynda gets her license I may never see her again. lol.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:50 AM   #19

DELETED