Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2008, 07:18 PM   #1
Augustgirl68

Send a message via Yahoo to Augustgirl68
First Timer Rider

Hello all!!

Just purchased a 2000 gz250 with 7000 miles on it a little over 2 weeks ago. This motorcycle riding is all new to me, as I am use to driving scooters which is all automatic, and only goes 45 mph. So needless to say I am a tad nervous to go over 45 mph right now, and it is driving my brother (who is my driving coach) nuts because he has a new Harley 1200cc and wants to go fast and I am holding him back..lol

I live in northern Ny, so my riding days are limited and I will have to pack the bike away for the long winter. I am planning on taking the MSF next spring so I am hoping it helps me feel more confidant when driving.

Any and all riding tips are appreciated!! I love this site and i am going to attempt to make my own saddlebag bars with the help of the how to forum, but my only trouble is finding the steel bar, being a typical woman and not knowing about where to find the steel pipe is holding me back, when i ask ppl in the store they look at me like i am stupid sooooo I may have to just buy them instead of making them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: First Timer Rider

Oops. Double post. Bye-bye.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Moedad

Re: First Timer Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustgirl68
Hello all!!

Just purchased a 2000 gz250 with 7000 miles on it a little over 2 weeks ago. This motorcycle riding is all new to me, as I am use to driving scooters which is all automatic, and only goes 45 mph. So needless to say I am a tad nervous to go over 45 mph right now, and it is driving my brother (who is my driving coach) nuts because he has a new Harley 1200cc and wants to go fast and I am holding him back..lol

I live in northern Ny, so my riding days are limited and I will have to pack the bike away for the long winter. I am planning on taking the MSR next spring so I am hoping it helps me feel more confidant when driving.

Any and all riding tips are appreciated!! I love this site and i am going to attempt to make my own saddlebag bars with the help of the how to forum, but my only trouble is finding the steel bar, being a typical woman and not knowing about where to find the steel pipe is holding me back, when i ask ppl in the store they look at me like i am stupid sooooo I may have to just buy them instead of making them.
Welcome Augustgirl68! You didn't just turn the Big Four-Oh, did you? Don't feel bad about buying stuff instead of fabricating it like some do. I'm like Alan, I pay too much for stuff because my time and laziness level (not saying that's Alan's reason for paying too much, but it IS mine) usually offset any bit of latent frugality and mechanical ability I might possess.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
5th_bike

Welcome, girl ! :2tup:

And congratulations on your bike. :rawk:

Pity you live that far north, down here in MD I don't have to put the bike away for the winter. Although, last winter I don't commute with it for more than two months, but I did make a point of taking it out for a spin at least once every two weeks.

It looks like you have a good start with lots of road experience and your brother coaching.
I assume you know where to find the MSF course materials so you can start reading ?

One tip, when in a hardware store, look for the old guy to ask for help, the young ones often don't know that much.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
One tip, when in a hardware store, look for the old guy to ask for help, the young ones often don't know that much.
That is true EVERYPLACE, isn't it ?? :roll:

Old 08-27-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
Sarris

Augustgirl68

Welcome, welcome. Keep up the practice and ride safe.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:13 PM   #7
davtnn

Holding him back?.... Seems that is a popular theme with new riders ... Hint----- Ride in your comfort zone .. never ride for someone else A GZ is not a sportster.. it is just a small bike that is fun to ride .. trying to "keep up" with another rider on a mid sized Harley is dangerous.... SO ride so you enjoy it. BE safe, Practice alot and whe you work your way up to the 1200cc you can then keep up with him.

Personally i have been all over the board with motorcycles ... I settled on the GZ as the most practical for this area and my situation. And i never let another rider dictate how i ride
Old 08-28-2008, 03:04 AM   #8
Water Warrior 2

AugustGirl68, welcome and glad to have another gal on the forum. All of us tough biker guys need the company to find our gentle side. About riding with your brother. You won't hold him up if you take the lead on your rides. Then just cruise along at your own pace and be comfortable knowing you have a tail gunner covering your back. He can also watch you easier to see how well you are doing and offer advice when needed. Also take riding lessons if you haven't already done so. Lynda started riding 2 years ago and all I did was show her the controls well enough to get her mobile and familiar with the controls. We both agreed she would take lessons to be the best rider possible. Anything else I could teach her was my bad habits. I took the lessons with her and had to work real hard to undo a lifetime of bad habits. Some of the best money I ever spent.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
Augustgirl68

Send a message via Yahoo to Augustgirl68
Thank you everyone!! Today I actually got up to 51mph...woohoo