Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #21
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: Gas Getting Low?

Since I bought my bike I'm averaging just over 67 MPG. The past 3 fill ups I've gotten 72+ MPG. I've found that following the suggested shifting speeds in the manual makes for the best fuel efficiency. Once you get accustomed to it you can even keep up with traffic pretty well. And its nice not having a wound up engine between your legs *most* of the time!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #22
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I think it kind of sucks that I can go about 550 miles between gas stations in my Suburban (thing uses a gallon just to get up the driveway) and only 180 on Suzy Sipper. I'll get over it.
Consider that the Suburban holds between eight and ten TIMES the amount of gas the GZ holds (32 or 38 gallons depending on ½-ton or ¾-ton truck compared to 3.7 on the GZ). Given your mileage numbers above, you would expect to get around 1800-2000 miles per tank in the Suburban....
Old 09-12-2008, 12:17 AM   #23
BusyWeb

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
For instance, my bike usually hits reserve at around 180 miles and takes only 2.5 gallons to fill for 72 mpg.
into the top of the tank without spilling over
I have to careful to filling gas and worry over filling every time. I have to watch squeeze by squeeze with gas nozzle. Somebody who knows best way to gas-fill, let me know please.
So I do not go over the line......attached picture (seeing is better, ha ha ha, don't know name of parts :whistle: )

Old 09-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #24
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Looks good to me. That's how I do it.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:56 AM   #25
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Consider that the Suburban holds between eight and ten TIMES the amount of gas the GZ holds (32 or 38 gallons depending on ½-ton or ¾-ton truck compared to 3.7 on the GZ).
Patrick, I think my Chevy tank holds 44 gals (it's a 1999.) I'm not sure what you mean by the 1800 miles. I was talking distance between gas visits. I can drive from here to nearly Oregon (where they pump it for you at no extra charge!) on one tank in the Suburban. I'd probably have to stop three times or more on the GZ.

This is a serious problem if I intend to use this bike for cruising the West, shooting stray zombies, and generally being a badass after Umbrella Corporation lets the virus loose. I mean, if I can only go 180 miles before I gotta risk getting my brains eaten, well, that's not gonna be any fun. Milla rides a BMW in Extinction... wonder how far that one goes on a tank? Probably has locking luggage for my .45 and shotgun ammo too.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:27 AM   #26
patrick_777

Quote:
Patrick, I think my Chevy tank holds 44 gals (it's a 1999.) I'm not sure what you mean by the 1800 miles. I was talking distance between gas visits. I can drive from here to nearly Oregon (where they pump it for you at no extra charge!) on one tank in the Suburban. I'd probably have to stop three times or more on the GZ.
I was talking about the tank size to miles driven ratio. If your GZ had the same size of tank as the Suburban (or the truck got the same mpg), you'd expect 1800-2000 miles, but since your Suburban holds 44 gallons, you would get around 2800+ miles out of a single tank.

It's unlikely that you'd really want to ride a motorcycle during a zombie infestation anyway. They're way too unstable when you have to barrel through a crowd...
Old 09-12-2008, 07:28 AM   #27
BigIron

It doesnt pay to squeeze in every drop you can. I did this once and I had some seepage under the cap afterwards. This is not good for your paint.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #28
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

As long as you are consistently filling the tank close to the same place everytime, it doesn't really matter how you fill it. After two or three tanks, you should be getting pretty solid mileage numbers.

For example, if you are one of the people who put less gas in each tank, you're going to get fewer miles per tank. But, as long as you fill the tank to same place each time, that won't matter because the calculations should still work out to show accurate mileage. If you keep carying your fill level, your mileage numbers don't do any good, as they are not accurate.

It takes at least two tanks to get an accurate idea of your gas mileage, as you are always calculating your current miles from the pervious tank.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #29
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyWeb
I'll take pictures of Gas Pump and Meter at next fill-up.
Is it fair?
Hope, I get good MPG.
Thanks.
Let's not get all carried away here, OK?

I wasn't questioning anything you said. I am, potentially, questioning something that you DIDN'T say: How do you go about filling the tank?

If you try to do it while holding the bike upright, that is both dangerous and makes for erratic fill levels. You should be doing it with the bike on the side stand and you OFF the bike. Then you can fill it until the gas touches the left rear part of the neck inside the tank. Doing that, you should be able to consistently fill to within a few CC of the same level every time.

DO NOT try to use the automatic shut-off. That too is dangerous.

Sorry about you folks in California and the big cities. Dealing with the "hood" on the nozzle is not much fun.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
I mean, if I can only go 180 miles before I gotta risk getting my brains eaten, well, that's not gonna be any fun.
180 miles would be about 3 hours. In my experience, if you do that on the stock seat, you will be WANTING someone to shoot you in the head to releive the pain in your ASS !!