Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 10-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Temporary rough ride?

After my service Monday I noticed that it seemed she was a little bumpier. It felt like it was coming from the front end aka the front tire. Visualy the tire seemed to be riding normally. I wasn't sure If I was just being paranoid or not, (plus the service guys were locking the doors and getting in their cars when I was leaving) so I rode her home. It didn't feel like there was any major problem, she just rode different. When I took her out the next morning it was smoother, and that afternoon it seemed fine, so it took roughly 20 miles to smooth out.

The service was just an oil change and lube job (I brought it in too late in the day for them to adjust the valves). Plus a new rear tube.

Does this sound like something I should worry about or am I just being paranoid? (yes I do have a tendancy to be paranoid about things. Especialy with my belongings).

*Edit: I know it wasn't the roads them selves. I've beed riding these same stretches of roads forever, almost daily.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Temporary rough ride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnar Infectus
Does this sound like something I should worry about or am I just being paranoid?
No and maybe.

Check your tire pressures, have a good look at the rear one and then don't worry about it.

Despite what it felt like, it was probably the rear just getting "seated" again after being deflated a time or two. Or they got the chain a little tighter than you have been used to. Or they managed to change your shock pre-load while the tire was off.

OR you have experienced the phantom "rocking horse" effect that only happens to riders of impecible skill and character. :biggrin:
Old 10-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
theneanderthal

Send a message via AIM to theneanderthal Send a message via MSN to theneanderthal Send a message via Yahoo to theneanderthal

Two things to consider about the new rear tire.

One, it's been sitting the shelf so it has a flat spot which should have gone away
subsequent to riding long enough to heat up the tire and round it out again.

Two, a new tire will feel a bit odd untill it gets a few hours breakin and you get used to the difference. (from your old worn tire)

So yeah, check the pressure, set to bike spec not tire spec, and check for loose spokes, rim damage etc. And don't be hangin' it out there until all feels well. Then it's time to thin out the chicken strips.

doh! ok well I just read your post while not driving down the hiway. :roll:

New *tube* huh. So yeah, check the pressure, set to bike spec not tire spec, and check for loose spokes, rim damage etc.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-13-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus

I looked the bike over this weekend. Everything looked fine. No loose spokes. Tire pressure was fine. Nothing seemed to be out of the ordinary.... until i noticed one of the bolts that holds the chrome cylinder head cover is missing. WTF!? Now I'm gonna have to call them up today. Then take time off work to drive back up to West Palm Beach to have them find or order a new bolt and put it back on, or give it to me to put on.
I doubt this has anything to do with the ride issue, but damn. I'm not happy with the guys at Broward Motorsports. First they never bother to call me when things I order come in. Now they're leaving bits off my ride. That's not cool. If they leave the wrong bit off I could die!.
Grrr... somebody's gonna get an earfull today.

*Update*

So I just got off the phone with service. I told them that I was just in last monday for service and a now a bolt is missing.
The kid tells me "Ok. That bolt is $6.95 and will take about 3 weeks to come in."
I say "Why should I have to purchase a bolt to replace one that was misplaced while it was in for service?"
him "Well you don't really need that bolt bolt anyway."
me "Only if I don't mind the cylinder head cover falling off."
him "Well you'll have to take that up with the Service Manager or the Mechanic who worked on it."
me "Ok, I'll talk to the Service Manager."
him "He's not here right now."
me "Can I have him call me back?"
him "Ok"
I leave my phone number.

That's not unreasonable right? They work on my bike and a bolt comes up missing. Either they forgot to put it back and they replace it, or it fell out because Suzuki didn't tighten it properly and it should be replaced through warranty. I mean it's possible someone stole the bolt for their own GZ250, but none of you guys have been in my neck of the woods lately right?

I'm not really expecting a call back as they haven't called me back on one thing yet, except when they were trying to sell me the bike. If I end up having to buy the bolt I'll probably end up having her serviced somewhere else and only go back there for warranty stuff unless I can go somewhere else for warranty. Anybody know any other reputable Suzuki bike shops in the West Palm Beach, FL area?