Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-16-2008, 01:53 PM   #1
Magnar Infectus

Send a message via ICQ to Magnar Infectus Send a message via AIM to Magnar Infectus Send a message via MSN to Magnar Infectus Send a message via Yahoo to Magnar Infectus
Saw my first GZ250 on the road...

...other than mine I mean.

I was riding home yesterday and came up on her from behind.
The rider was was a woman probably in her 50's maybe less, grey hair in a pony tail, white bandana. She was riding a silver/grey GZ250.
I gave her a beep she looked over and smiled. I don't think she noticed we had the same bike.I tried to stop next to her at a light to chat, but traffic prevented it. I was even gonna plug the site. After a couple minutes she turned off into a shopping center. I thought about following her to say hey, but I was on my to meet a friend.
Oh well. Maybe she's a lurker here? If you read this I'm the guy who beeped yesterday.
Ride safe sister.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-20-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
goneoutflying

Re: Saw my first GZ250 on the road...

The GZ250 seems to be kind of a rare bike, Daytona Just had Biketoberfest which draws a lot of bikers, didn't see another GZ anywhere. At first I thought it was because it is a small bike and most people who bring their bike to Daytona have large cruisers or sportbikes, however I saw a few Honda Rebels which are smaller than the GZ.
I must be the lone GZ250 in Daytona
Old 10-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

I saw what I believe to have been a GZ250 (couldn't tell since it was from a distance) today with hard saddle bags and a trunk.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:50 AM   #4
alanmcorcoran

I haven't see another one yet either. Not even at my MSF class (they had 24 bikes, all 250's or less.) But I got a shout out today from two young ladies in a sports car, "We love your motorcycle!!!" I had my helmet on so I don't think they could tell I was old enough to be their grandpa. Still, I was distracted enough that I drifted a little into the adjacent lane on my left turn.

With the big gas tank and the larger tires, GZ's don't look as much like the other little bikes.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #5
goneoutflying

My MSF class used all Buell Blast, I shopped around for a while before finding my gz, it looked bigger in the picture and it was the first one (and so far only) one I have seen.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #6
Badbob

I think you don't see many of them because most GZ250 owners don't ride them. It's not hard at all to find a used one with less than 2,000 miles on it.

I don't know about being rare. They are fairly easy to find used on dealer lots around here you just don't see them on the road much.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
IRingTwyce

Location: Graham, TX & Houma, LA ... I commute. Holy crap! You sure can type a lot of stuff in this spot!

My MSF class used mostly GZs. They had a couple of Eliminators and only one Rebel. I have yet to see another one on the road in Houma, but one of my bike riding co-workers said he used to have the same year and color that I'm riding when he first started riding. Go figure.

[center:h2j5ojxn]'01 Suzuki GZ
(Coming soon) '02 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'06 Hyundai Azera Limited Ultimate
'98 Contour SVT
'98 Contour SE
[/center:h2j5ojxn]
Old 10-30-2008, 01:19 PM   #8
john1096

I don't think dealers order many in some parts of the country for the obvious reasons. Even if they have one in stock (new or used) they try their hardest to steer you toward something with a better profit margin. Here in the Midwest, bigger is always better. I've even heard of people being laughed at and made fun of by sales staff for trying to buy a 250cc bike. Sad thing is, I think this tactic works more often than not. Oh, how fragile egos can be. Rebels are a lot more common around here than GZs and you even see a few 250 Virago/V-stars. I love the Rebels, but they are way too small and everyone is asking way over book value for them. Now that gas prices are falling I'm sure they'll come down. After riding the Honda Nighthawks, I love the GZ's little single cylinder. It feels (and sounds) stronger to me than Honda's Rebel/Nighthawk power plant.

I looked on C-list and other sites for about six weeks in July/August and only ever saw one GZ posted in this area. I bought it. The MSF courses around here use Nighthawks (except the Harley-sponsored classes). Funny, you don't really see any Nighthawks around, either, except for some of the older bigger displacement models.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 PM   #9
IRingTwyce

Location: Graham, TX & Houma, LA ... I commute. Holy crap! You sure can type a lot of stuff in this spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1096
I don't think dealers order many in some parts of the country for the obvious reasons. Even if they have one in stock (new or used) they try their hardest to steer you toward something with a better profit margin.
Our Suzuki dealer doesn't even have any C50s in stock, much less a GZ. Smallest cruiser they've got in stock is a C90. And they definitley DO try and steer you to the larger bikes. Schmucks.

[center:h2j5ojxn]'01 Suzuki GZ
(Coming soon) '02 V-Star 1100 Silverado
'06 Hyundai Azera Limited Ultimate
'98 Contour SVT
'98 Contour SE
[/center:h2j5ojxn]