Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-10-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
fossil

Hoping to learn more about my GZ250

I am still not up with all the motorcycle terms referenced on this site and in motorcycle magazines and books. Before I ride, I always check the tires, chains, and most of the time the lights, but sometimes I don't think I really know what I really should be looking for. Eg. okay the chain feels like it did the last time I checked it so it should be okay? I haven't been too concerned about maintance stuff yet because its a brand new bike and I did take it in for it's first service when I hit 600 miles. It now has about 1,300 miles on it. So to get better understand of the mechanics of my bike, I am taking the "What Every Motorcyclist Should Now" course this weekend. It's a 6 hour course offered through the Puget Sound Safety - http://www.pugetsoundsafety.com/.

Anybody have experience with a course like this? IF so, what was it like and did you get a lot out of it? :??:

FYI: You bring your own bike to the class.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-10-2009, 02:30 AM   #2
alanmcorcoran

Re: Hoping to learn more about my GZ250

Fossil,

I'm afraid I'm like you, except I don't even check the chain. I'm having to learn a bit more as the bike has been running rougher (I'm at about 2900 miles.) I adjusted the idle today!

Let me know what you learn at the course.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Chris

Your bike will smooth out. Expecially if you cruise country roads instead of riding in the city.
Sounds like both of you are doing well on watching maintenance, but you did not mention lubing the chain. Chain lube is, of course, the best, but a heavy oil put on by hand is good also. My chain feels much smoother with new lube.
You'll need to have the valves adjusted at about 4000 miles, but sounds like you are some ways from that.
I use my bike a lot for country highway cruising (75mpg) and also for travelling (63mpg). No problems, runs great. A bit cold right now, waiting for warmer weather.

Chris, retired guy near Atlanta.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Fossil, education is the right thing and you are 2 steps ahead of many riders. #1, you are on a good informative forum. 2#, you are attending a hands-on course with your own ride. You have 2 sources of valuable tips that are needed for the care and feeding of your GZ. As for a pre-flight check, please do the lights check every ride and double check the brake light function. Looking forward to your experience and comments about the maintenance course. Ride Safe.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:46 AM   #5
Joho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
As for a pre-flight check, please do the lights check every ride and double check the brake light function.
Excellent piece of advice for any rider; and also for cage drivers (at least once a week!)

This can save many riders from annoying traffic tickets and preventable accidents. (knock on wood)

Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #6
fossil

This course was most informative. There were only 4 people in the class. We had my GZ 250, Bergman 400 scooter, and a Honda sports bike to look at and compare the differences. We didn't actually do any work to our bikes, except check the air and remove a seat or two to view other components. The Honda sportsbike dude had only have the air recommended in his tires, the instructor would not let him leave until he got the right amount of air in his tires. The MSF course was across the parking lot from where the maintance course was so they just had to go a few hundered feet for air.

Inside the classroom, there was a engine block on a cart and many, many parts in boxes to look at and review in class. It was a 6 hour course. I feel a lot more confident and knowledgable about my bike. I even had to ride 11 miles home in the rain, which gave me a little bit more confidence about riding in bad weather.

We did learn about T-CLOCS too. I am familiar with it because we covered in the Motorcycle Safety Course.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
alantf

Excuse me,
What are T-CLOCS? I'm not American, & I've never heard the term before. Thanks.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:24 PM   #8
alanmcorcoran

It's a pre-flight safety check neumonic. I think it's Tires, Control, Lights, Oil, Chain? Chassis? and Stand. I'm sure it's on the Internets.

Haven't checked my Chassis yet, but I think that's actually what it is.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #9
fossil

Yes, T-CLOCS is a pre-inspection list. Here is a link to it: http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/T-CLOC ... cklist.pdf