Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 01-04-2009, 04:08 AM   #31
alanmcorcoran

Re: New cold record for myself

When I used to ride the scooter in Ithaca, I got so I could go (slow) on packed snow, but I went down more than a few times on ice. Can you spot ice or do you just hope for the best? I still remember my hands being the coldest part of the deal. I didn't have anything between me and the wind, plus, the squeezing seems to not help the circulation that much. I also was dirt poor and my gloves sucked. On a scooter, you kind of have a shelter for your feet and legs, so it's mainly the face and hands that get cold. I didn't have a full face helmet in those days and my cheeks used to get chapped. I didn't keep records, but I can tell you one February ('77? '79?), 20 degrees was considered "warming up." I didn't ride every day - there were days when I just couldn't take it. But I distinctly remember having to brush the snow off the seat before I went home.

A big part of the reason I have lived in So Cal since '83.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #32
mr. softie

I envy those who live in warmer climes. I want to move someplace where ice and snow don't limit my riding so much. Ice sucks big time, as does all the salt on the roads. I fall down on ice, so it is to be avoided. Cold can be dealt with as proven by snowmobilers and skiers etc, and by Dupo and I riding in these temps we have this time of year in SE PA. Ice is another matter entirely. On the plus side our roads tend to be clear of ice for the most part all winter, except during snow and ice storms. :skull: Today for example it is a beautiful sunny if somewhat nippy day here, and I'm taking the GZ out for a ride in a few minutes. :cool:
Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM   #33
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo

I will be out there as well. Taking the bike out for a few stops.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 01-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #34
alanmcorcoran

Softie, I took a look at the map and you are about 200 miles due south of my old hunting (haunting?) ground (Ithaca/Lansing/etc.) I'm guessing the winters are similar. When I was a kid, we used to make an annual (dreaded) trek from NJ to Ashley, PA (near Plymouth/Wilkes Barre) along the 287, 78, 33, 80, 81 - all of which I think are in your neck of the woods. I grew up in Edison, NJ and my mom's folks were scattered around a very steep hill in coal country there in PA.

It is said that the vast majority of Americans live within 50 miles from where they were born. Apparently family is the glue that sticks them there. Economic hardship is actually a greater incentive for people to move than weather. The recession of '73-'74 and the oil crisis of '79 devastated the economy and manufacturing base of upstate NY. California fared well under the military/industrial buildup of the '80's (under Mr. Reagan.) So that's where I went when I had to earn enough to support a family. Worked out for me.

Bundle up, as we used to say, and enjoy the ride! I'll be out today on the GZ on my way to play soccer.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #35
alanmcorcoran

Okay, I found a link to my neck thingie. It's actually called a "Headgator." (Did not know that!)
It's made by Maxit. It's $17.50. Here's a link: http://www.maxit-inc.com/products/headgator.html

I will be wearing it first thing tomorrow - going up to Wrightwood for (my) Day 3 of 08-09 ski season.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:37 PM   #36
alanmcorcoran

Here's a few reviews of some Max-IT products from 2005 (I've had mine at least that long.) These are by a bicycle riding cop (I think):

Maxit HOTHEAD® Balaclava (pronounced: bl-klv, -kläv)

A balaclava is defined as a close-fitting, woolen cap that covers all of the head but the face. There is no exception with Maxit's product. The balaclava was as advertised - breathable, comfortable, versatile, warm, unisex and one-size-fits-all. It kept my neck warm and free from wind gusts. The HOTHEAD® fit well under my helmet, with no hot spots. I found it beneficial to tuck the balaclava inside my patrol jacket's collar, thus creating a unified look and appearance. However, when speaking with people, I constantly found myself pulling the mouth/nose section down so people could see my face. Some people with whom I stopped and chatted remarked that I was "intimidating-looking." One elderly woman remarked that if it wasn't for the STATE TROOPER on my jacket, she would have thought I was a bandit on a bike. Another said I looked like I was about to rob the local convenience store. I didn't care for the overall impression I gave to those in the community, but I have to admit, I was the warmest thug in town.

Maxit HEADGATOR®

The HEADGATOR® was an interesting item resembling a sleeve. I quickly learned that it is advertised as "6-in-1 headgear." It has been recognized as the official headwear of the USCF (United States Cycling Federation) for four years. Before using the HEADGATOR®, I reviewed the directions supplied by Maxit. The HEADGATOR® notes itself to be able to multi-task, turning into a neck warmer, hood, balaclava, ear band, sweatband, or hat. I have to admit, I wasn't at first impressed; to me, it looked like a scrap piece of cloth Maxit tried to find a use for. But after two months, I had learned to like the item. The neck warmer and hood were my favorite metamorphoses. The ear band and "sweatband" I found to be bulky when folded as per the directions; they didn't work well when using a helmet. The hat was warm and comfortable, but not appropriate for a uniform. But if are looking for an item which can aid in cold weather climates and extreme weather changes, the versatile HEADGATOR® would be a good bang for your buck.

Z-Beanie

What can I say? I loved this thing. Simple, with clean lines, and well-designed. Unisex and one-size-fits-all. I normally wear a "do-rag" under my helmet, but after trying this product, I am a changed man. The Z-Beanie was comfortable. It covered my head and ears. 75% of your body heat is release from your head; keeping the heat from escaping from your head is the best way to keep warm. The Z-Beanie was professional-looking, so much so that I began wearing it under my dress uniform Stetson when working the highways on regular patrol. Several Troopers asked how I got away with wearing the skullcap. Upon donning it and then my Stetson, you could barely tell I was wearing it, even while it was covering my ears. The cap was easy to wash and it dried quickly for next day's use. None of the seams were felt under my helmet and I never got the dreaded "hot spots" from the stitching.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #37
Water Warrior 2

Great "Find" Alan.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #38
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

I rode the GZ around town today for about 30 minutes to get stuff circulating (both me and it). It was a brisk 34 degrees with a gusty wind. I didn't really dress for the ride, so it was painful by the time I got home.