Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 02-10-2009, 08:06 PM   #71
caroledee1

Re: How cold IS it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

How did your baby like the cold weather ??
My bike purred like a kitten! Abused like a red-headed step-child and still started right up. ( I'm not very politically correct, am I?) :lol:

I have bought quite a few items from Sportland. My Yamaha Radian was purchased from Bloomington Sportland. Both places have always treated me right.

Hopefully spring is not too far away!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-10-2009, 08:43 PM   #72
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
Easy and others in the great Midwest, when do you start riding for good? Middle of March? Not until April?
I'm a wuss so my answer might skew the results. April......late April. Last year was a bear 'cause it was cool/wet/cool/wet.....don't think I was riding on a regular basis until JUNE.
Hope that doesn't happen again this year.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #73
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroledee1
My Yamaha Radian was purchased from Bloomington Sportland. Both places have always treated me right.
One of my windshield/seat test runs last year was to Bloomington for BarbQue at Bandanna's.
Think I'll try to work in a day trip to the boat at Peoria this year.

Old 02-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #74
mr. softie

We had t-shirt weather here today. I rode the past 4 days and it has been warmer each day. 60's today.The new 16 tooth front sprocket really makes the bike ride differently. More relaxed. A lot of my riding is on country roads with speed limits of 40-50 mph with a bit of highway riding at 55-60 mph. The new gearing is perfect for the kind of riding I do.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #75
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. softie
The new 16 tooth front sprocket really makes the bike ride differently. More relaxed. A lot of my riding is on country roads with speed limits of 40-50 mph with a bit of highway riding at 55-60 mph. The new gearing is perfect for the kind of riding I do.
Ah Ha! Another convert!
Amen, Brother Softie!

:plus1:

P.S. I have trouble reading your posts.......because my eyes keep going back to that CAT !! :crackup

Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #76

Quote:
.The new 16 tooth front sprocket really makes the bike ride differently. More relaxed.
I, too, am considering this mod, as I drive in similar situations. Could you clarify what you mean by "more relaxed"?

Thanks,

Keith

Old 02-12-2009, 01:31 PM   #77
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkindred
Quote:
.The new 16 tooth front sprocket really makes the bike ride differently. More relaxed.
I, too, am considering this mod, as I drive in similar situations. Could you clarify what you mean by "more relaxed"?
The main difference is that the engine turns slower at a given speed; as a result, you can stay in each gear longer. This is most noticeable in 1st as you can actually complete a turn from a dead stop without shifting into 2nd in the middle.

My take is that not only the engine is more relaxed but also the rider as it doesn't seem as "urgent" to get through the gears.

Softie........??????
Old 02-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #78
Sarris

I agree with Easy also. Much more relaxed ride, the engine turns a bit slower. I lost about 5 mph from my top end, but added about 2 mpg. You would think higher gearing = more speed, but the little GeeZer doesn't have the torque. It's the best mod you can make to get better in town drivability, but now you'll get your ass run over for sure on the Interstate. Luckily, I have a Harley for that purpose.......

:biggrin:
Old 02-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #79
alanmcorcoran

Not sure how this thread migrated to the 16T but, now that it has, what're your thoughts on somebody like me being able to do it? Do you have to mess with the chain?

(FYI, Suzi's in the shop having the erratic idle when cold symptoms looked at. I'm not hopeful there'll be a cure.)
Old 02-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #80
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Not sure how this thread migrated to the 16T but, now that it has, what're your thoughts on somebody like me being able to do it? Do you have to mess with the chain?

(FYI, Suzi's in the shop having the erratic idle when cold symptoms looked at. I'm not hopeful there'll be a cure.)
Given what you said in the past about having to get on the Interstates (freeways on the left coast) all the time, my advice would be NO. It limits your acceleration a tiny bit (although I think it FEELS better) and limits your top end to something around 70. Coupled with hills and tall overpasses.......I just don't think so.

You have to "mess with" the chain to change the sprocket but the one additional tooth works fine with the original chain.

FYI......if my bike continues to have idle trouble when the weather warms up, I will find you in Chicago the next time you are here and kick your ass for putting a HEX on me!! :shocked: :neener: