Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
music man

Re: I'm goin' in....

Because that way you have gas to get you to a gas station just in case you run out. Looking down in the tank and/or sloshing around the gas in the tank to see how much you have is not an exact science.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
adrianinflorida

I know, but why no just have one pickup in the lowest part of the tank and call it good? Looking at it, it makes sense, the engine stutters on "Normal" and you switch to "Reserve" with the understanding that you have about a gallon left. I just wondered of there was any reason that there had to be a normal and reserve, rather than one pickup point.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by music man
Because that way you have gas to get you to a gas station just in case you run out. Looking down in the tank and/or sloshing around the gas in the tank to see how much you have is not an exact science.
I hate to break it to you, but neither is a reserve fuel petcock. Although I have to say it is a pretty damned smart idea.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #14
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
I know, but why no just have one pickup in the lowest part of the tank and call it good? Looking at it, it makes sense, the engine stutters on "Normal" and you switch to "Reserve" with the understanding that you have about a gallon left. I just wondered of there was any reason that there had to be a normal and reserve, rather than one pickup point.
Run your tank bone dry 10 miles from a gas station in the middle of nowhere and you'll understand the value of an extra gallon of "reserve" gas.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
Maybe just to let you know when you're down to the last +/- gallon?
Yes. Simple.

And I can't help but wonder if some of those who THINK their "ON" pickup tube has fallen off, aren't just confused about the proper position of the petcock lever ?? :horse:

But then we know that there is a potential problem there because at least one rider has taken it apart and fixed it.

:??:

Old 02-24-2009, 10:17 AM   #16
adrianinflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
And I can't help but wonder if some of those who THINK their "ON" pickup tube has fallen off, aren't just confused about the proper position of the petcock lever ??
I double checked the owners manual when the woman I bought my GZ from said "I'm not sure which one is reserve, it's one one of those turned to the side" :roll: