Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 03-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Motorcycle Movies!

Go! :rawk:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
adrianinflorida

Re: Motorcycle Movies!

Cheesy Barry Sheene movie I mentioned in the other thread, Spaceriders

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Riders-Barr ... B00000F68V
Old 03-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

uh, ghost rider! that movie was sick!!! and i cant stand nicholas cage.

Old 03-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #4
mr. softie

There is a new movie (2008) called "Brittown", a motorcycle documentary featuring Meatball from the Hell On Wheels bike shop in Anaheim, California. I haven't seen it yet but looks good.

For the older rider there is of course "Wild Hogs", which I saw recently and I enjoyed it.

The classic bad boy cycle flick is "The Wild One" with Marlon Brando. Dated but I liked it.

And of course "Easy Rider" . Captain America and Billy look for Adventure and find it.

I mentioned"The Fastest Indian" on the other thread. If you haven't seen it I recommend it highly. About a man and his motorcycle. The documentary that the movie is based on is the best part IMO.

There were and are a slew of crappy B movies all featuring motorcycle riders as crazed outlaws. I found these that look entirely forgettable. "Hell Ride" is a modern tribute to all those crappy B movies. I'm gonna watch it! Plenty of Bikes and Broads, sex, violence and motorcycles!

Old 03-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #5
denver

Technically this is a TV series:
Long Way Round

Old 03-09-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
dan_

Send a message via AIM to dan_

We need some of the girls from thunder strip to start hanging out on the gz forum..
Old 03-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

I love the posters that Mr. Softie put up, and I might even watch some of those movies. In general, I haven't liked many motorcycle movies with the exception of "Easy Rider." A lot of them are like that "other" one with Peter Fonda (Wild Angels?) with totally inauthentic stereotypes and dialog and one note stories, "man." In addition to the trailers, I was exposed to Wild Hogs on four flights, (they played it for about a month on American Airlines.) It looked totally predictable and not very entertaining. I like Bill Macy and Ray Liotta, but it looked like all of the actors did this movie mainly for the paid riding time (and possibly free bikes?.) Lot's of predictable "We're NOT gay!" scenarios and a run-in with some "real bikers." Yawn. Looked awful.

The World's Fastest Indian was light years better than Wild Hogs. Although it is a much, much better movie, I can't really recommend anyone spend 90 minutes on that one either, unless you are the type that goes for "Hallmark Hall of Fame" maudlin-life-affirmers. It probably would have been good as a documentary (I didn't see the documentary - just the feature film) but it was weird as a movie. Too many layers on layers of unnecessary "sweetening" and "quirkifying" to the real story, which, frankly, I didn't find that compelling to begin with. (How about he meets a tranny? How about he pees on his tree? Let's combine the most dramatic elements of six years of runs at Bonneville and make them one run that never happened!) I don't mind being manipulated by a movie, but when it is constant and cloying you just feel used. I know that for lot of people racing an old modified piece of shit to see how fast it will go is somehow a metaphor for life or something, but to me, it is just as pointless as the real thing and even less interesting. I thought Anthony Hopkins did a decent job of playing crazy/quicky/sweet old man in it, but I guess I'm just not that interested in crazy/quirky/sweet old men.

Some of the coolest motorcycle stuff I ever saw was when I caught most of the moto events a few years back on the X games. I guess I was out of touch, but I was unaware anyone could do some of the things I saw these guys pull off.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #8
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_
Squid.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
Squid.
"Riding" without "gear" is not always bad !!! :shocked: :oops:
Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #10
mr. softie

I just watched "Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man" starring Mickey Rourke and Don Johnson. I thought it was very entertaining. A guns and bikes buddy movie. The movie flopped by the way. The critics and most of the public didn't like it.

I also watched "Hell Ride" today, which had lots of nudity and graphic violence but was pretty lame. Too stylized for my taste. Tonight I'm watching "On Any Sunday".

I must admit I was cringing through most of Wild Hogs but the ending where Extreme Makeover home edition rebuilds the bikers roadhouse and Peter Fonda was worth it. Plus I like Marisa Tomei.

As for "The fastest Indian", Alan's criticisms are valid, but I still really enjoyed the movie. The real guy was quite charming.

I might mention I don't have cable or a dish so I am easily entertained.