Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 PM   #41
Water Warrior 2

Re: Shoulda kept the GZ.....sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
use your hi-beam during the day
Sorry, I just can't agree with you on that point! Everytime I've come across someone riding/driving on high beam, I've had to turn my head away so they don't blind me. All this means is that I am then not watching what they're doing. It's also the same when someone comes up behind me with high beam. It shines straight in my mirrors & makes it uncomfortable for me to drive. All high beam does for me is piss me off. If the idiots can't see low beam, they sure as hell can't see high beam either. :??: O_o
It appears that we will just have to agree to disagree on this particular idea.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #42
alantf

hey easy,when I say "rear fog lights", I don't mean white fog lights (like on the front of the car) These are an extra red light at the rear (usually, one each side) that have a 21w bulb (as opposed to the normal 7w rear light) & are meant to be used when visibility is low, such as in fog or falling snow, to make the vehicle more visible from the rear. They're fitted as standard in England & Spain. I didn't know they weren't used in America.Most other countries seem to think that they add to road safety.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #43
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuriousgrowth
Quote:
Well done. You were looking for yourself and for her because she was too busy multitasking. As many riders will say "Ride like you are invisible". If don't already do it, use your hi-beam during the day because the GZ is a pretty small visual target to home in on. A single headlight gives other drivers a poor depth perception but at least they might notice you.
My wife has commuted for about two years on a Vino 125 through some busy streets in downtown Oakland and Berkeley. Some people, what ever they're on, feel like they have to go around her because she is on a 'little' scooter regardless of speed. She also makes a smaller target than the GZ, and so people are constantly not seeing her. What I've picked up from her experience is that basically, watch everyone pulling out, changing lanes and generally asserting themselves in her comfort zone and hit the horn if they look like they're thinking about doing something stupid. There are some real dill holes out there who get a wounded pride at being beeped at by a small woman on a scooter, but that's what lane splitting and the CVT transmission are for (taking off from stoplights).

One of these days I'm going to replace the stock horn with one that has a little bit more bite.
im not sure how you would hook up the air compressor but you need a train horn on that thing, that would do the job for sure and it would be cool

Old 05-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #44
dannylightning

Quote:
Quote:
use your hi-beam during the day
Sorry, I just can't agree with you on that point! Everytime I've come across someone riding/driving on high beam, I've had to turn my head away so they don't blind me. All this means is that I am then not watching what they're doing. It's also the same when someone comes up behind me with high beam. It shines straight in my mirrors & makes it uncomfortable for me to drive. All high beam does for me is piss me off. If the idiots can't see low beam, they sure as hell can't see high beam either. :??: O_o

if a high beam blinds you in the day time i think something may be wrong with your eyes!
Old 05-17-2009, 01:28 AM   #45
5th_bike

Quote:
hey easy,when I say "rear fog lights", I don't mean white fog lights (like on the front of the car) These are an extra red light at the rear (usually, one each side) that have a 21w bulb (as opposed to the normal 7w rear light) & are meant to be used when visibility is low, such as in fog or falling snow, to make the vehicle more visible from the rear. They're fitted as standard in England & Spain. I didn't know they weren't used in America.Most other countries seem to think that they add to road safety.
Americans are so not used to rear fog lights. If they use them (they only come on some European cars) they often forget about them and leave them on for days after they're needed. They also switch them on when they're not needed, like when it just rains, or it's a little hazy and the visibility is a quarter mile. And do you think those Americans will ever understand a little high beam flash in their rear view mirror, which in Europe either means "move over" (on the left lane of a multi-lane highway) or "your fog light is on" (anywhere else) ?... (hint: the answer to this question has two letters).

Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 AM   #46
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuriousgrowth
Quote:
Well done. You were looking for yourself and for her because she was too busy multitasking. As many riders will say "Ride like you are invisible". If don't already do it, use your hi-beam during the day because the GZ is a pretty small visual target to home in on. A single headlight gives other drivers a poor depth perception but at least they might notice you.
My wife has commuted for about two years on a Vino 125 through some busy streets in downtown Oakland and Berkeley. Some people, what ever they're on, feel like they have to go around her because she is on a 'little' scooter regardless of speed. She also makes a smaller target than the GZ, and so people are constantly not seeing her. What I've picked up from her experience is that basically, watch everyone pulling out, changing lanes and generally asserting themselves in her comfort zone and hit the horn if they look like they're thinking about doing something stupid. There are some real dill holes out there who get a wounded pride at being beeped at by a small woman on a scooter, but that's what lane splitting and the CVT transmission are for (taking off from stoplights).

One of these days I'm going to replace the stock horn with one that has a little bit more bite.
Just add a Stebel air horn. They work well and are not out of this world price wise. Just go to California Sport Touring.Inc and take a look. Both our bikes have an air horn. 139 db loud.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #47
adrianinflorida

The rear fogs on my SAAB are in the innermost tail light lens on either side of the license plate). They always default to 'off' whenever you start the car, so they can only be left on as long as the car is running. They are in between the intensity of a tail light and brake light. They're also good to turn on/off real quick when someone is tailgating you, without having to brake check the idiot.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #48
Easy Rider

Quote:
Just add a Stebel air horn.
I think you might be in danger of blowing the main fuse on a Vino 125 with a Stebel !! :shocked:

They do draw a fair amount of current.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #49
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianinflorida
They're also good to turn on/off real quick when someone is tailgating you, without having to brake check the idiot.
The 4-way flashers work good for that too.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #50
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":1oqhzr5x
Just add a Stebel air horn.
I think you might be in danger of blowing the main fuse on a Vino 125 with a Stebel !! :shocked:

They do draw a fair amount of current.[/quote:1oqhzr5x]

Give it it's own fuse and power up with a relay.