Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Blackbird

Big bike handling vs. GZ handling

I have now completed most of the work in getting my Yamaha XS650 up and running. A totally different bike for sure.

As a lot of us go to a bigger bike we need to rethink on how we drive these machines. They go faster and sometimes don't stop as quick. I think some of the bigger bikes tend to drift in curves and one needs to practice on the curves if you are new to a bigger bike. My 650 does drift and I just slow down. I do look for areas where traffic is light and practice the curves. Lots of them where I live. Drifting in curves is one of the biggest reasons why bikers crash and burn (die).

Of course I still ride Raven (my GZ) all the time. It's just not happy with two-up cruising.

I must say this ... I'm impressed with the handling of the GZ and enjoy it for what it is. I will always recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a smaller bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
Re: Big bike handling vs. GZ handling

If your bike is drifting in turns and you aren't pushing the bike to its limits, YOU NEED NEW TIRES! My KZ550 NEVER drifted in a turn, and I rode it pretty aggressively in the twisties (my chicken strips were down to 1/4" before the engine went kaput; no doubt they'd be gone now).
Old 05-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

As mentioned you may need new rubber hoops. There is probably a difference in front end geometry compared to the GZ that you also have to adapt to for cornering. Just a suggestion and I may be wrong but enter curves a little slower, give it some throttle and lean into it. This may help to settle the suspension. Also check the rear preload on the shocks. Turn it up to raise the rear a touch. You could also raise the forks in the triple tree 1/4 or 1/2 an inch for better turn in. Try one thing at a time though, multiple changes can be of no use b/c you don't know which one did the trick.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
bonehead

Could just be the bike, too. I went on a long ride with a buddy and he let me ride his HD softail. I had a heck of a time in turns until I got used to its geometry. (Just a thought)
Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Could just be the bike, too. I went on a long ride with a buddy and he let me ride his HD softail. I had a heck of a time in turns until I got used to its geometry. (Just a thought)
OMG, that is quite a transition in size.

And on that note I am outta here. Sunshine, warm temps and my mountains are calling me. Life is good to an old retired guy.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
If your bike is drifting in turns and you aren't pushing the bike to its limits, YOU NEED NEW TIRES!
A definite possibility but it may not be that simple.

I always thought the GZ had "oversteer". That probably is not true, technically, but it does take VERY little in the way of steering inputs to get a BIG change in direction. It is easy to handle.

Now we have a bigger bike that is NOT that easy to aim. It takes some conscious effort (not much maybe but a distinct action) to make it turn. With my Shadow, I find it is MUCH more stable as tiny changes in lean or bar pressure don't send it veering off in a different direction.

Now for the hard part, also very important: If you are drifting wide in turns, then you aren't giving it enough steering input and aren't leaning far enough (or leaning your body the wrong way). And the really REALLY hard part is to convince yourself that when that happens, the absolute WRONG thing to do is to slow down.....because that will allow you to lean even LESS and tend to make your line even straighter. You need to lean MORE and in order to do that, you need to apply a little MORE throttle or you will low-side (if you lean too much while going too slow, you fall over).

Drifting in curves is NOT what causes bad accidents; it is entering the curve too fast, at the edge of the performance limit of your tires such that you can not lean any more and thus can't turn any tighter without sliding out.

Summary: Drifting is caused by not leaning enough and/or not counter steering enough.
Accidents are caused by starting to drift and doing the wrong thing to correct it.
BAD accidents are caused by riding above the limits of your skill and equipment and getting into situations where there is no good out.

You don't have to take my word for this; it is widely documented by all the "experts" and they probably explain it better.

You just need a LOT more practice with your new bike as the handling is way different.
Others on here have noted that making the transition is often more difficult when you go back and forth between the two. While you are getting used to the bigger bike, I suggest that you not ride the GZ at all for a while.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Sarris

Yeah, I know what you mean.

The Harley is like........EEDOO!! EEDOO Capt. to helmsman. Right full rudder.

You have to plan your moves sooner and execute them with deliberate higher force actions.

It's strange swapping between the HD and the GZ and definately takes a few minutes to acclimate.

The worst thing to get used to is the turnsignal switch(es) ere mounted on each grip instead of all in one like the GZ.

They are however, self cancelling. Cool, huh?

Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
primal

Easy, do we have the same definition of drifting?

[youtube:xu0axy5u]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7fn1XndE3o[/youtube:xu0axy5u]
Old 05-28-2009, 06:44 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
Easy, do we have the same definition of drifting?
No, apparently not.
In this context, it is running wide in a curve.
I think everybody ELSE understands that.
Next you will be telling us that you ride like the guy in the video.

:facepalm:

Blackbird: What did YOU mean when you said "drifting" in the curves?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:00 PM   #10
primal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Next you will be telling us that you ride like the guy in the video.
Hah! I wish I could ride like that (on a closed course, of course).

I've never heard the term drifting refer to running wide in a turn... oh well.