Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
mcintyre_aerospace

Really annoying sqealing from back brakes

Has anyone else been gertit an annoying squealing from the back brakes while the wheel turns. I took the whhe off to change the tube and turns out it was causes by the springs that hold the brake pads together were rubbing on what look like cooling turbines on the inside of the wheel. Anyone know a solution to this before. Decide to just take a dremel after th to grind them down for more room. I don't care if I have to get rid of them completely the dang squealing gunna drive me mad.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
bonehead

Re: Really annoying sqealing from back brakes

Mine has a squeal on the first push of the brake pedal. happens eveytime after it is parked. 4 hours or 10 min. first push, it squeals.(Have'nt figured it out yet)
Old 08-04-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Sarris

Re: Really annoying squealing from back brakes

MA;

I would very strongly suggest that you dont grind inside on the rear hub reinforcements (webs) as you are compromising the structural integrity of the hub

Is it possible that the spring has been installed incorrectly or on the wrong side of the shoes?

Why not just rebuild the rear brakes w/ new pads, springs, and a new rear cush drive rubber? The whole deal may set you back $40 or so, but ain't your ass worth $40??

Bone;

You probably need new brake shoes. Please read comment above!!

REAR BRAKES SHOULD NOT SQUEAL. Brake squeal (the "normal" type) is pretty much a disc brake exclusive.

NEVER take chances with your brakes, if there is a noise, then there is SOMETHING WRONG!!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #4
bonehead

Checked them 2000 mi ago. Plenty of meat left on them. I'm thinking it's my dirt road I go down every day and the dust inside the drum.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Checked them 2000 mi ago. Plenty of meat left on them. I'm thinking it's my dirt road I go down every day and the dust inside the drum.
Man, how I wish we had "multi-quote" here; perfect application!

Sorry, Sarris, but drum brakes will squeal and sometimes even stutter a bit IF they have a lot of "stuff" trapped inside the drum.......or if the shoes are glazed. Most often it is brake dust but can be road dust or even dried mud if you've been off road. The "one time" squeal is probably nothing to worry about; it could indicate surface rust on the drum too. I would take the noise as a sign they need to be cleaned out but that's just me.

I am 100% with you on the spring rub thing though. No grinding on the cooling fins.....or other parts of the hub. IIRC, that is caused by installing the springs backwards (or upside down) 'cause the hooks at the ends of the springs are offset slightly to prevent that.
Might even be mentioned in the service manual; I've seen it before in others.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Sarris

Re: Really annoying squealing from back brakes

Easy, we agree that there should not be a squealing noise normally and is an indicator of the things you mentioned and of the need for a brake service at the minimum.

I suggest removing the pads for a visual inspection as you may have a foreign object imbedded in one of the shoes.

I had a pal that had a ball bearing imbedded in a shoe and it squealed until warmed up. Destroyed the hub.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
VTXorcist

Send a message via Yahoo to VTXorcist

My back brakes squeal if the bike has gotten wet at all. After a half-mile or so, they stop. Normal or...?
Old 08-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXorcist
My back brakes squeal if the bike has gotten wet at all. After a half-mile or so, they stop. Normal or...?
Yes, probably nothing to worry about but have a look at the adjustment indicator. If you are over half way on the adjustment, you might want to consider new pads. Like I said, I consider any new or unusual noise coming from a drum brake to be an indicator that it's time for a cleaning and inspection.......at a minimum.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Water Warrior 2

I agree with the spring being in up side down and causing noise. Also in a damp environment the drum will have surface rust that wears off after a couple stops and the noise goes away.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:11 AM   #10
mcintyre_aerospace

The brakes are brand new and I already installed new springs every way they can go in and still sqeaking. All he springs I try are just too close to the cooling turbines and they rub. The squeaking isn't from the brakes it's an even squeak and squeaks about 6 times per wheel turn. I looked and the hub and on every turbine deal there's an imdention about an 8th oinch deap and the springs are shiny clean wear they rub. Considering this bike doesn't have anough power to go very fast I decided to just take a dremel after it with a grinding bit. So far no probs and it's perfectly quiet so problem fixed. This was posted from my iPhone.