Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 07-25-2009, 04:31 AM   #11
alantf

Re: Rear break issue, HELP!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
if I dropped the money on a new bike, I would expect the dealer to help me with some minor adjustments for no additional charges.
Yes ...... I agree 100%. The point I was trying to make was that newbies don't know what adjustments need to be made to a new bike, so they can't ask for the adjustments before leaving the shop. It's about time the dealers were educated in customer service - to help & advise their customers, without them having to ask.
Unfortunately, until it makes financial sense for them to do so, they'll do as little as possible (i.e. NOTHING), & there's no way it'll make financial sense for them to do something for nothing. It's o.k. for us, more experienced riders, to know what wants doing, & insisting that the dealer does the necessary adjustments, but a newbie just doesn't know what needs doing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-25-2009, 10:03 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
It's o.k. for us, more experienced riders, to know what wants doing, & insisting that the dealer does the necessary adjustments, but a newbie just doesn't know what needs doing.
That's true BUT that's no excuse. When was the last time you saw a bike salesman with people lined up waiting to complete the paperwork for their sale ?? Maybe on Sat. mornings early in the season but I doubt even then.

The should KNOW they have a newbie in hand and go over some of the basic set up items: brake pedal, shifter, clutch lever adjustment, and maybe even bar and lever position. We have had at least 3 new riders come here and ask IF those things are adjustable. That is sad.

I have the opposite problem with new car sales-persons. It should be pretty obvious to them that I'm not a new driver but they seem to feel some kind of obligation to point out EVERY control on the dashboard and how it works.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
burkbuilds

You are right Easy Rider, they should offer more information to new riders and offer to set up the pedals and such to fit them, and Alan is correct in pointing out that new riders don't even know to ask for that stuff. I'd say that's one of the great things about a forum like this, more experienced riders getting to share that kind of information for the benefit of new riders. I really like this forum, I joined a Vulcan forum when I bought my new 500, but it can't touch this one! I rarely ever go there, and when I do I don't think much of the format or the average posts on there compared to this one, this feels like a community of people who enjoy their bikes and aren't just trying to one up each other but instead are offering their best advice to each other. Two thumbs up to the GZ250 Bike Forum and Dupo for starting it!

Old 07-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
mrlmd1

Quote:
I'd say that's one of the great things about a forum like this, more experienced riders getting to share that kind of information for the benefit of new riders. I really like this forum, I joined a Vulcan forum when I bought my new 500, but it can't touch this one! I rarely ever go there, and when I do I don't think much of the format or the average posts on there compared to this one, this feels like a community of people who enjoy their bikes and aren't just trying to one up each other but instead are offering their best advice to each other. Two thumbs up to the GZ250 Bike Forum and Dupo for starting it!
You are so right about this place. I too belong to and frequent other forums but none can compare to this one as far as the knowledge of it's members, the willingness to pass it along, the friendship and camaraderie (most of the time, the rest of the time it's misunderstood), the oldtimers who keep coming here back again and again along with the newbies who keep joining. It's a growing family and we all benefit from it and each other. We all seem to have some vested interest in each other, we have developed a real sense of community and true friendship over the years. Keep it up, keep it going! :2tup: :2tup:
Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 AM   #15
Water Warrior 2

When Lynda got her 2006 GZ it was a shambles for foot controls. I rode it home and compensated for the brake pedal and shifter being way out in left field. I knew what it should feel like and how things should work. First thing was getting the bike adjusted for Lynda and then checking over the rest of the bike for everything else on the list of TO DOs.
Her M-50 was pretty well set up but not for a 5 Ft 3 In woman. WW to the rescue of course. The bike is a near perfect fit. The GZ was a perfect fit and Lynda never had a complaint.
One of my riding and coffee buds started to hate his 1100 Yamaha cruiser and wanted another bike. After 3 years a local dealer tipped his handlebars down and he is in love again. Even the most minor adjustment can mean so much.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #16
Krazy Kraut

Re: THANK YOU!! Rear break issue, HELP!!!!!!!

Hello1
Wanted toi thank Easy Rider and everybody else, that replied to my HELP call. I actually adjusted my break pedal myself!!! :whistle: it was super easy and the ride ist sweet now. I havn't layed it yet! LOL
Also, i am taking a Motorcycle safety course to get my REAL lisence (riding w/ a permit). I recommend it to all the NWEBies!
Thank you agaiHave a nice ride!
krazy kraut :2tup: :roll: :chop: :??: :??:
Old 08-08-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
Val

Any references above to American dealers, I have found applicable to Canadian dealers as well. Nothing was adjusted, and nothing was even said about making adjustments. I didn't know my clutch control wasn't adjusted until I needed to clutch and horn at the same time and couldn't reach the horn because of how far forward my hand was to hold the clutch. (The guy I was gonna toot at was moving into my lane unaware of me, and with no horn I ended up booting his passenger door, which was very effetive at getting him to move back!) Just be sure you pass on the info to any new riders you will ever meet - adjust your bike!
Old 08-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #18
burkbuilds

I love it! You booted his door! I've wanted to do that before but didn't. Way to go!
Old 08-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #19
bonehead

Nuts and bolts work on tailgaters too.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Nuts and bolts work on tailgaters too.
Modulating HyperLight LED brake lights are very effective and much safer. Both for you and the next rider who may catch a stray nut or bolt flipped up by a cage tire. But wouldn't it be nice just once eh ?? But in reality we should not be doing stuff that will lead to road rage because we stand to loose badly if things get out of hand.
The next rider could loose badly though. A bolt, same as a nail will get flipped up by the front tire and puncture the rear tire on a bike. Been there done that. Also read of a Vstrom rider in Australia who had the engine holed when a bolt flipped up from the front tire. The pics were quite interesting to see. Luckily it was a well insured bike and almost brand new so the engine was replaced rather than writing off the bike.