Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 09-25-2009, 06:41 PM   #31
dannylightning

Re: cleaning chrome items such as exhaust that get hot??

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkbuilds
Yeah Danny, it is flooding in the Metro Atlanta area, really bad in places. Earlier in the week parts of I-285, I-85, I-75, I-20,. . . were under water. Lots' of homes destroyed, and at least 8 people killed in the flood waters that I heard about. There are entire schools and neighborhoods completely underwater. I don't know about Lake Lanier, but I drove across Allatoona Lake at I-75 coming home last night and from what I can see it is more than full. Parts of the surrounding area got as much as 20" of rain over the 3 day weekend last weekend. It had already been raining almost every day before the big deluge hit over the weekend. My home is about 120 miles North of Atlanta and my workshop was flooded at least 4 separate times. The ground is so saturated that every downpour just stays on the surface and runs across the yards and up against and over anything in it's path. Part of the problem was that the storm systems just sat in place for days, dumping enormous amounts of rain constantly. I've seen it rain that hard plenty of times, but it's usually over in a few hours at the most sometimes just 20-30 minutes, but these storms just dumped rain for days non stop. The president declared North Georgia a disaster area and Vice President Joe Biden flew in to Marietta (1st big city North of Atlanta, often referred to as a suburb of Atlanta) today and made a speech. I think Easy Rider has a kid in the Atlanta area, hope they are okay.
here i thought it was just wanting a boat, and im making jokes about putting floaters on the motorcycle, sorry, hope all is well

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #32
Krazy Kraut

Hi guy's!
Well, i have a questions, some what like the others. I have been riding my bike very little (due to my kids), but there are heat marks on my pipes in the front, by the engine. Is that normal? Sorry, but i'm still learning and i do not think (it's soposed to get that hot in the front), that after 117 miles on a NEW bike, this should be happening.
Any feedback welcome
See ya
Krazy Kraut Rider :??: :??:
Old 09-27-2009, 05:13 AM   #33
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kraut
there are heat marks on my pipes in the front, by the engine. Is that normal?
I've got nearly 14,000 km (8,500 miles?) on my bike, with no discolouration, but several folk in America have said that theirs are discoloured. The only (?) difference is that my European GZ is set up (from the factory) slightly richer than the American Bikes. Can anybody who's done a carb mod confirm or deny that this might be a factor contributing towards no discolouration? :??:

Old 09-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #34
Water Warrior 2

Alantf, I think you are on to something. North American bikes do run quite lean so the result would be more heat. Heat is the determining factor in discoloration of pipes. Now all we need is some one to rejet a brand new N.A. bike and ride it fairly hard to see if the pipes discolor. I will do the testing if some one gives me a new bike. :whistle:
Old 09-27-2009, 10:28 AM   #35
Easy Rider

Quote:
there are heat marks on my pipes in the front, by the engine. Is that normal?
Yes. Or more properly, it is not ABnormal.
A lot of things can cause it: Too lean, too rich and a lot of low speed riding in very hot weather.
In most cases it is nothing to worry about......as long as the bike is running good.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #36
dannylightning

Quote:
Hi guy's!
Well, i have a questions, some what like the others. I have been riding my bike very little (due to my kids), but there are heat marks on my pipes in the front, by the engine. Is that normal? Sorry, but i'm still learning and i do not think (it's soposed to get that hot in the front), that after 117 miles on a NEW bike, this should be happening.
Any feedback welcome
See ya
Krazy Kraut Rider :??: :??:

if the bike is brand new and only has 117 miles on it i cant possibly imagine that the pipes would already start to blue. heat is the cause of blue pipes but it usually takes quite some time for pipes to blue. if your mixture is lean the bike will run hot and if you leave a bike set at idle for long periods of time, i hear that can also make the pipes blue since there is less air flow going threw the bike at idle.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #37
Krazy Kraut

Thanks everybody!
Yeah, i have to idle it for 5-10 min, before i leave to get on the streets. And i'm from Germany originally (just came here 8 1/2 yrs ago) so i might not be used to the discoloration happening so quickly. I won't worry about it, until parts fall off (Like on a Harley Davidson LOL), just kidding! Thanks again for all the help and info, greetings to my european biker friend in Spain!!! OLE!!
(I'm half italian)
Krazy Kraut Rider
Old 09-27-2009, 06:11 PM   #38
dannylightning

Quote:
Thanks everybody!
Yeah, i have to idle it for 5-10 min, before i leave to get on the streets. And i'm from Germany originally (just came here 8 1/2 yrs ago) so i might not be used to the discoloration happening so quickly. I won't worry about it, until parts fall off (Like on a Harley Davidson LOL), just kidding! Thanks again for all the help and info, greetings to my european biker friend in Spain!!! OLE!!
(I'm half italian)
Krazy Kraut Rider
i would always warm it up for about 5 min and than ride with the choke on a little bit. bye the time i got 2 or 3 blocks away it was warmed up all the way. when i got to a stop sign i would just turn the choke off or i would just turn it off while riding. not sure how long is too long to let the bike set and idle but 10 min is pretty normal warm up time.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #39
Easy Rider

Quote:
Yeah, i have to idle it for 5-10 min, before i leave to get on the streets.
WAY too long to warm up. That may be the cause of the blue-ing.

You CAN ride with the choke still on a bit, you know ??
You are using the choke to start it, right?

After only about 2 minutes, it should be warm enough that you can have the choke about all the way OFF and then it should be OK to ride.

If you REALLY MUST let it warm up that much before you can ride it without stumbling, you should have the dealer look at it. That's not right; they tend to be "cold blooded" but not THAT much.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #40
diffluere

I hardly ever use the choke. Usually my bike is already warmed up from the 90 degree weather here. Sometimes in the morning when it's only in the 70s I'll turn it on for a minute, then ride down my driveway and turn it off before I turn onto the street.