Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
marye

hoping to buy bike this weekend

Hi all,
I am going to check out a 2005 GZ this weekend. It has 8000 miles and the guy is asking 1750 which seems reasonable enough to me. The guy selling it claims that it has never been dropped. Are there any tips anyone can share with me about checking over a used bike in general and the GZ specifically. I have been riding a Helix clone scooter, but think that a bike will serve my purposes better. All input is welcome.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
dhgeyer

Re: hoping to buy bike this weekend

To tell if it has been dropped, check the ends of the handlebars, mirrors, tank, and the control levers on the handlebars. Also check the turn signal stalks to see if they are broken or bent out of shape, and the turn signals for scrapes.

Ask to take it for a test ride. If either you or the seller is not comfortable with this, at least start it up and listen to it. GZ engines are pretty quiet by nature, and you shouldn't hear any noticeable clanking or odd noises. Personally, I've never bought a bike I didn't test ride first, and I've bought 14 so far and counting.

Do the control levers, clutch and brakes operate smoothly? Does the throttle operate freely and smoothly and snap back when released?

After the bike has warmed up for a few minutes, hopefully after a 10 minute ride or so, let it sit for a few minutes, and then pull it upright and check the oil level in the oil sightglass on the right side of the bike.

Check the chain slack. Manual says it should be 2/3" or so, but I think up to an inch is fine. Look for rust on the chain, and feel to see if it has been lubricated.

Check all lights, signals, high and low beam, turn signals, brake light, horn, and tire pressure (cold, before you ride). Take a tire gauge with you. Check tire tread depth. At 8000 they likely will have been replaced. If not, they could likely need it. Cold tire pressure should be 25psi front, 29psi rear. Some people run them with somewhat more pressure, as it makes them last longer, and this is fine. Low pressure is a sign of neglect.

If any of the checks above don't check out, take it as a sign of neglect.

Ask to see a service record. At 8000 it should have had service at 600 miles, and every 3000 after that. If the owner doesn't have a service record, be a little suspicious, but not overly so. Not that many people bother keeping them. At least talk to the owner and get a verbal history. Ask if things like the cables have been serviced, and valves checked/adjusted at normal intervals. How may owners has it had? Does the current owner even know how well it has been cared for? When were the oil and oil filter last changed? When was the air filter last cleaned? If the owner knows how to do it, ask if he/she will pull the air filter so that you can look at it. If it's all black and gunky where the air actually goes through it, then it's been neglected. This is fairly common. If the owner says he bought it new and had the dealer service it at the intervals specified in the owner's manual, that's probably as good an answer as you are likely to get. If the owner is a serious wrench and goes into detail about all the work he's done on it, that's probably good, although it can also be very very bad. You'll just have to try to get a feel for that.

Make sure you get the owner's manual, the full tool kit, and both keys. If any of those items are missing, take it as a sign of a careless owner. Finding a locksmith that can make an extra motorcycle key can be a pain, depending on where you are. You don't want to just have one key to your vehicle.

Ask if it's been ridden lately. With the crappy gas we're stuck with these days, sitting for long periods can easily gum up the carburator. GZs seem to be prone to this. If it has been sitting for up to a year with fuel stabilizer in the fuel, it's probably OK, but a lot of people either don't know about this or don't bother. If it's been sitting for a while, pay special attention to how it sounds when it starts up, and whether or not it takes throttle smoothly after it's warmed up.

Any accessories like a windshield or saddlebags are a plus, but don't tend to add much value in the marketplace.

If any of the above isn't up to snuff, that's not necessarily cause to walk away. GZ engines are pretty rugged, and can take a certain amount of neglect. Running some Chevron Techron in the gas for a couple of tankfuls seems to degunk carbs pretty well. But you can use this stuff as a bargaining chip. If it looks or sounds like the owner really hasn't taken care of it at all, if the engine won't start, starts very hard, or runs seriously badly, I'd walk away.

I'm sure others will add to this, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #3
marye

Thanks for all the info. I am making a checklist so I am sure to cover the items you mentioned. I would rather look silly with a checklist than buy a bike with big problems.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
I'm sure others will add to this, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head.
:plus1:

Does your head hurt? You took quite a bit "off the top"! :biggrin:

I concur on the test ride, assuming you can handle the clutch and shifting.

I'll add but one thing: Be sure you get to start the engine COLD; check that by (carefully) feeling the cooling fins on the engine when you get there. If it has a problem with running when cold, the seller may "pre-heat" it to mask that problem.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #5
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Does your head hurt? You took quite a bit "off the top"! :biggrin:

Not too bad. I've had worse - just throw me a beer.