Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 09-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #51
dannylightning

Re: LOWERING MY 2000 GZ250

just make sure you get good quallity paint and good quallity clear coat when you paint that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #52
diffluere

I'm so glad you figured out a way to make your bike work for you! I'm surprised they let you bring your own for the test though. I had a lady in my class that had an automatic motorcycle, I think it was a 125, but they wouldn't let her bring it. They made her take the test on a scooter that was too tall for her and she had to tiptoe it the whole time. She didn't end up passing and has taken the course several times.

Let us know how you did! The reason I bought the gz was because I rode one in the class and it was amazing! I love my "little" bike.

I'm thinking about having mine painted too. I want it to be a "blurple" color that I saw on a Harley down in crystal river. It was that crazy sparkle paint that shifted from blue to purple as you moved it around. It's awesome!
Old 09-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #53
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffluere
I'm so glad you figured out a way to make your bike work for you! I'm surprised they let you bring your own for the test though. I had a lady in my class that had an automatic motorcycle, I think it was a 125, but they wouldn't let her bring it. They made her take the test on a scooter that was too tall for her and she had to tiptoe it the whole time. She didn't end up passing and has taken the course several times.

Let us know how you did! The reason I bought the gz was because I rode one in the class and it was amazing! I love my "little" bike.

I'm thinking about having mine painted too. I want it to be a "blurple" color that I saw on a Harley down in crystal river. It was that crazy sparkle paint that shifted from blue to purple as you moved it around. It's awesome!
you know i really don't like that color changing paint and i cant figure out why, its kind of neat really but every time i see a car painted up in that stuff im turned off. i don't get it. i have seen some of those that turn many colors, blue, purple, orange, yellow, green and black, you got to wonder how that works. and i wonder why i don't like something so interesting.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #54
Water Warrior 2

Danny, a car done up may be too much of a good thing. On some bikes the same paint may be just enough to look good without being a wall of color. Each of us has an eye for what we want.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #55
dannylightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Danny, a car done up may be too much of a good thing. On some bikes the same paint may be just enough to look good without being a wall of color. Each of us has an eye for what we want.
yes but if i think that stuff is cool why don't i like it. how strange is that. i would like to see a bike painted like that it might be kind of cool on something smaller. a big wall of colors sounds about right on a car.

all i know right now is im laying down. im about falling asleep in my chair.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 AM   #56
Sarris

The Harley color is called Cobalt Metallic, and it is not a flip-flop paint. It looks really blue until you get it outside, then it looks almost purple.

I was going to get that color, but it was way too purple in the sun for me, so I went with the old standby, HD Vivid Black.

Also, diffluere, PM me when you next decide to go to Crystal River HD, maybe we can hook up.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #57
diffluere

Quote:
Harley color is called Cobalt Metallic
I think this one must have been custom or something. It was iridescent like my Brazilian Rainbow Boa (if anyone knows about snakes...). It was blue and shimmery and if you moved your head it looked shimmery purple. Either way, it was awesome. I like shiny things.

And Sarris - we can meet up and do the Ozello trail. That trip was the first time I really had to go around any curves. Up here in Gainesville it's the grid system so everything is straight lines. It was really fun! Maybe we can meet up next time me and my buddies head down there.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #58
sharon_koontz

Sorry I haven't been back for a while after all the help you guys have been. I had some issues to iron out and take the MSF test but I passed only because I had my own "custom fitted" bike.
Remember, I am not 5 ft tall, I am less than 4 ft 10 in and not just "short", I am ultra petite. I found that being small didn't just mean that the height and weight of the 250 were overwhelming to me but the handlebars were too wide for my arm length. I would get part way through a sharp turn and have to stand on the footpegs to complete it. I also didn't have the strength I needed to turn it or balance it. This is what we did to make this bike fun and easy to manage for me. First the easy part. We raised the front fork tubes up toward the handlebars by about 1 1/2 inches. You could go further if you need to but be careful of the balance. We found that the shocks on the Kawasaki 125 were the same but only 10 1/2 in instead of the 12 in on the 250. I found a dealer that even got me an after market price. Shop around. They are expensive. You can put these down on the lowest setting assuming that you don't make the bike much lower when you sit on it. After you do all that, you'll need to have the sidestand shortened. I took mine to a welding shop and had them cut about a 1 in. piece out and weld it back together. It only cost me $10. The handlebars were a big decision because we didn't know if we could change them and have everything fit.
I got High bars from JC Whitney item #CCE025143 for around $60 and Soft grips CCE013291 $12. This was the GREATEST change! It made the bike so easy for me to steer it was incredible. We pulled them back some and they look really cool on this type of bike. Like they belong there. The soft grips made the controls easier for me to use. My hands didn't slip off the brake and onto the gas.
I got a really good pair of motorcycle boots. Harley Davidson is the only company I found who makes them in smaller sizes for kids. I actually saw them at a local shoe store but I found them cheaper on-line.
Last and ongoing is building strength. I started lifting weights and carrying weights when I walk every day. It's been amazing what a difference this has made in my ability to move my bike around and ride it safely. Dannylightning has some good tips on here for an easy workout. The only thing I've noticed so far is that something make a slight "clunk" sound if I hit a big bump. I think it's the fender bumping the tire but I haven't noticed any scraping marks on the tire from the frame or anything. I can still get my hand up under the back fender and over the tire. The seat is now 24 in. from the ground and I can put both feet flat on the ground with my boots on. The only thing left is painting "Miss Purdy" over the winter. If someone can tell me how to get a picture on here, I'll post one. Thanks again to all of you for your help. I would not have accomplished this without your input.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #59
bonehead

Glad you got it the way you needed it. Congrats!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #60
Water Warrior 2

WOW ! Sharon, you are one determined gal. Congrats passing the course and also lowering the bike. I know where you are coming from with the original handle bars. Lynda had the same problem when upgrading to her M-50. As for the clunk in the front you may have to live with it. Many Suzukis do this and it is the design of the front forks. My Vstrom does this on a regular basis and is just the nature of beast. Actually all 5 Suzukis I have owned had this clunk free of charge from the factory. Blame the bean counters. Carry on riding and send us some pics when you can. Some one will be along shortly to explain it as I will not try. I am all thumbs with a computer and will only lead you down a dark frustrating road.